Radar

G

Iam looking to buy a radar and would like opinions on the various types with regard to best features etc. Do they all go from 1/8th nm up to about 25nm?
for instance. What would one expect to pay for a good one. Would like the screen to be not too small, and also clear. Looked on ybw/compass site and they appear to only do JRC staring at £640 but nly 6" screen opinions appreciated. CGN

CGN

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Six inch screen is fine for radar. Cos your not looking at to much detail. It's usualy just a big blob heading straight for you or a big lump of land in front. Anyway you can always zoom in or out to keep the right amount of detail. Cant remember what mine starts at. A fraction of a mile though. Up to I think about 35. But thats no good cos. The radar can only see about fifteen miles cos of earth curve. Depends how high you've got it. Mine has big wizzy round thing on the radar arch and a bit over the top. You only need to sea about six miles so would think the JRC thingy would be OK. Less some one says different.

No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

BarryH

Visit site
I used the JRC 1000 and found it quiet good. With the small LCD screen it wasn't to heavey on the power side. The controls were quiet simple and straight forward so you could actually helm the boat and look where you are going and not fiddling with loads of knobs and switches. Cursory look at it now and then during the day but a godsend at night. And it does'nt take up too much room at the helm or a massive raydome up top.

Wha'dya mean "I'm always playing with this engine" its the only way to get it to run!

G

Re: Barry

When you say you "used" the jrc 1000 does that mean you've now got another one ?
Also Barry can one get a second screen with a jrc for the outer helm ?

CGN

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Basically, there are 2 big names in radar, Furuno and Raymarine, so, if it was me, I would stick with something from them. I would'nt bother with colour but I would get the most powerful/longest range model I could afford. Yes, I know that the horizon is only 15miles away or so from a small boat but a 24nm or 36nm radar will give much better definition of small targets than a 16nm radar. Big targets like ships will show up on any radar but small targets like yachts and buoys may not