Radar reflector question...

MystyBlue2

Visit site
hi folks my small boat does not have a radar reflector and im going to purchase one as the winter is on its way and daylight is starting to fade so im going to fit one to make sure im seen on radar as light begins to fade,

My question is does mounting height matter and will it cause any interference with VHF radio signals?

Any special way to mount/position these things

Cheers folks

chuzzlewit

Visit site
hi folks my small boat does not have a radar reflector and im going to purchase one as the winter is on its way and daylight is starting to fade so im going to fit one to make sure im seen on radar as light begins to fade,

My question is does mounting height matter and will it cause any interference with VHF radio signals?

Cheers folks
Google Qinetiq radar reflector report

masterofnone

Visit site

Cheers folks
Dan, there's 2 different kinds; active and passive. For what boat? and typical scenario?

Greg2

Visit site
Google Qinetiq radar reflector report

Thanks for sharing that - an interesting read and relevant as I am considering removing our active Echomax and fitting their passive 230 - it won’t be as good but probably acceptable according to the report.

MystyBlue2

Visit site
Dan, there's 2 different kinds; active and passive. For what boat? and typical scenario?

Its for a small dory 12footer dont want anything big or complicated ive seen one on ebay for £23 and it folds down ontop of cuddy, just thought seen as my plotter doesn't have AIS maybe a radar reflector would keep me seen by other vessels if fog or light starts to fade. I wont be out in the dark but its yet another safety feature i would like to look into. Thanks for your reply

MystyBlue2

Visit site
Right Dan, google 'tube radar reflector' 2 types, you'll want the bracket type to screw to roof.

Thanks for your replies can these tube reflectors interfere with vhf signals and are there any particular mounting positions, (certain distance from vhf antenna or mounting height)?

Greg2

Visit site
Thanks for your replies can these tube reflectors interfere with vhf signals and are there any particular mounting positions, (certain distance from vhf antenna or mounting height)?

The tube reflectors are not very good.

MystyBlue2

Visit site
Brilliant folks thanks for your help and info gunna look into the tube one, as you can imagine on a 12ft dory the cuddy is pretty small and i have limited space with antenna, anchor light, and spray visor so think the foldable tube ones will be better suited. Il maybe take it, place it where i want it then use radio and see if i get any interference. If i do il play with position. Cheers peeps