Radar in the Med

Xpat

Visit site
I imagine most people who sail around the UK would consider a radar essential or at least highly desirable. However I intend to get my new boat to the Med as soon as possible and stay there. What is the opinion of those of you already down there. Do you think the expense of radar is justified for the Med? Do you use it? I am juggling my budget and trying to decide which bits of kit I really need.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
very useful for making a landfall at a busy area. Plotter will tell you where you are, but if you are approaching a big city, it is very easy to lose the lights of another boat against the background, unless you are very experienced, radar will help to sort this out.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jerryat

Visit site
Hi Xpat!

Frankly I wouldn't dream of bothering! Have spent lots of time in the Med and never remotely needed it and neither have most of my friends there, some of whom fitted it in the UK 'cos they thought they would. I take Talbot's point re harbour approaches, but unless you are particularly given to night entries, buoyage is quite sufficient and leading lines clear. Even at night I can't think off-hand of any particularly difficult entry that would warrant the additional expense, and the solution to any you do come across, is simply to stand off until daylight. Most cruising yachts I know, plan for daylight/early evening entries, something usually quite possible to plan for well ahead.

Save your cash and put it into good ventilation, refrigeration insulation, a good LONG cockpit canopy extending forward to near the mast, extra anchors, removable mosquito nets to all openings and ............. oh, the list is almost endless!!

Cheers Jerry

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sunnyseeker

Visit site
I'd agree with Jerry, I've never had a radar and would only have liked one once in fog off the Scillies seperation lanes. Thats in over 25 years of channel, med, biscay, spain and caribbean. In that situation we turned around...if your travelling fast so cant see or cant turn or stop easily you need one.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Xpat

Visit site
Thanks Talbot, that's something I hadn't thought of but as Jerry suggests, I would probably plan daylight approaches or stand off.
Thanks also for the comments Jerry and Sunnyseeker, when buying a new boat radar seems to be regarded as standard kit and its very tempting to go for it because everyone else seems to.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Paulka

Visit site
Fully agree with Jerry. In the last 5 years, I've seen a total of 2 hours of fog!
Keep your money for any or all items suggested by Jerry, I would add thou : genaker, shower near the bathing ladder, fishing gear, even surf board, but no water scooter!!!

Welcome to paradise!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Members online

No members online now.