Radar Detector

G

I once read in PBO that there was a system available that can passively detect radar from ships called the C.A.R.D. system. Apparently this uses a tiny percentage of the power that a normal radar system uses- ideal for long cruises or ocean races.

Have you, or know anyone that has bought this system? I'd love to know what you think of it, as I am interested in purchasing one.

Thanks, Ben

G

Considered buying one myself but then looked at the price of a small LCD Radar and decided that rather than knowing someone was "pinging" me it would be better if I could see them. (Plus what about the boats that don't have radar??)

The price difference between the Radar Detector with "direction finding" capability (i.e. "It's over there - somewhere.") and a radar was less than £200.

If you check out Marine Electronics (no relation to self apart from satisfied customer) they have RCD LCD radars on offer at the moment. Address is www.mesltd.co.uk.

Best regards :eek:)

Ian D

G

Thanks for you advice- worth considering, but is the radar any good?! Cheaper sets are not always that good on the whole...

Ben

G

Re: cheap radar ok

Yes, they are good. The one we have (had, sold boat) was the nastiest and cheapest autohelm. I swiched it on each time we went on a reasonable trip, to check all set up nicely, and even LCD screen in bright sunlight I cd actually count seagulls behind the boat (yes without looking). Helicopters show up and they are lost from the screen overhead. Goes up to 16 or even 32 miles so could be very useful.

G

Re: cheap radar ok

what was it like on power consumption? do you know how much it retails for now? all these questions- so little time!!

Thanks,

Ben

G

Re: cactusnav

try cactusnav.com who have all the brochures on-line.