Racing this weekend?

William_H

Visit site
I hope you enjoy your first race. Get right up near the line especially if the wind is light or there is a contrary tide however watch for the risk of being swept over the line too early by the tide. Make sure you are on starboard tack on the start line. Don't be phased by people yelling at you or bluffing about the rules. If they actually show a protest flag then do a 720 degree penalty turn after the start if no protest flag ignore them. ( they are not all gentlemen) Make the effort to have exactly the right sails for the conditions and be prepared to change down or up. Watch for small windshifts when on the wind as a knock can be turned into a lift by a quick tack. When on the wind concentrate on your course following the wind shifts. it goes on and on....... It is a sport and you have to keep trying. good luck will

<hr width=100% size=1>

martinb

Visit site
Which boat are you on?
I am on Tantrum of Langstone, a Sigma 36.
I hope we have better luck than last night, I lost the mast on my own boat taking part in the Warsash pursuit race!

Good luck

Martin

<hr width=100% size=1>

bedouin

Visit site
In a race that long the start is not going to be that important. Better to keep out of trouble than try to get the best possible start and risk collision or being over the line.

You have to be particularly careful of down-tide starts in light winds - there was a race last year in light winds where one boat was swept over the start line before the gun, and it took them more than two hours to get back to start properly!

The navigation / tactics are important in a race that length, choose your course to enable you to make most advantage of expected / possible wind shifts and make good use of the tides.

If the winds are light and the tide is carrying you the wrong way then use the anchor (known as kedging).

<hr width=100% size=1>

ceeagr

Visit site
I'm out with Jumunu with fingers crossed we can do better than 3rd place last time.

Good luck to all.

Alistair

<hr width=100% size=1>