Racing navigation

sails_02

Visit site
I'm looking for resources to aid my learning in navigation techniques for racing.

Any advice for a not-yet-boat-owner thinking that nav might be a way to get onto more competitive boats over time.

Curriculum would be similar to YM nav theory, but I imagine there would be some useful steps taken in parallel.

Something along the lines of the book "Expedition Navigation Software: A "Gentle" Introduction", but the book seems quite focussed on Expedition software, so ideally something broader than that. Any reviews of the book appreciated (context of not yet having access to the software)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075VQM59Y/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_taft_p1_i1

Or is this all dreaming?

Related article:
https://www.sailingworld.com/racing/navigator/

flaming

Visit site
Difficult to answer without knowing what your experience is now...

Are you new to racing, or have you been doing Tac/Nav on boats and just want to improve?

As a rule, Navigator separated from Tactician is only a role on very big boats, and to be honest if you don't have a top notch CV you're not getting that role, and it's often a pro role, rather than an amateur role.
If you really meant Tac/Nav on cruiser racers, then it's more possible but if you're new to racing then you are quite a long way behind the kind of people doing those roles on OPB. There's a lot more to it than finding the next mark, or even just finding the best tide.

Not trying to put you off, as it's a brilliant goal, but what sort of experience you already have will go a long way to deciding the best route into NAV roles.

sails_02

Visit site
Thanks for your reply, certainly racer cruisers. I have some experience with racing, and wanting to start thinking more about Tac/Nav and how to explore how it intersects with my interests in tech.

(related article, with a tongue in cheek snippet "“You can sail, you can turn on a computer; I think you should come and be the navigator.” https://www.sailandleisure.co.za/marc-lagesse-changing-course/)

I'm not entirely delusional, undoubtedly this is a niche field with incredible barrier to entry, just having a wonder as to what is involved to improve beyond just knowledge osmosis over time :confused:.

flaming

Visit site
Quite often the way people seem to get started in Tac/Nav is to fill in when the regular isn't available and do a decent job.

Or get a ride with someone and mention that you want to go that way.

In terms of building knowledge, the North U tactics book is well worth a read.

lw395

Visit site
Are you talking inshore or offshore?
ISTM that 'Solent Race Navigation' is a subject/career in itself.
In the open boats, you don't get much 'tech' to help you, it's mostly about knowing the tide streams and being able to find ALL the marks, some of which are surprisngly small....
Cross-channel is quite different. Once a leg is long enough for the weather to change, understanding the weather properly is a big leg-up to race strategy.