quick straw poll - oil or varnish / paint stripper or elbow grease

ChattingLil

Visit site
I have an A24 which will be used for simple pottering about day trips. I'm really sort on time for boat maintenance (being liveboard on a bigger boat means that that one takes priority).

the A24 has varnished rubbing strakes, tiller, hatches. I have sanded down the strakes but want to use paint stripper on tiller and hatches. Any reason why I shouldn't?

Also, I had good experience oiling previous tiller, but any reasons why I shouldn't oil rubbing strakes and hatches? After all, we had oiled oak front door that was 150 years old and that seemed ok!

Tranona

Visit site
No problem with using paint stripper provided you clean thoroughly before refinishing. Follow sailorman's advice and coat with International woodskin for a long lasting finish. Do not use oil. Messy and attracts dirt plus needs constant refreshing to look good.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
I have an A24 which will be used for simple pottering about day trips. I'm really sort on time for boat maintenance (being liveboard on a bigger boat means that that one takes priority).

the A24 has varnished rubbing strakes, tiller, hatches. I have sanded down the strakes but want to use paint stripper on tiller and hatches. Any reason why I shouldn't?

Also, I had good experience oiling previous tiller, but any reasons why I shouldn't oil rubbing strakes and hatches? After all, we had oiled oak front door that was 150 years old and that seemed ok!

Just a thought on paint stripper.

I tried this one yesterday - http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-paint-varnish-stripper/17091

The feedback on Screwfix was good. Have only used it on varnish down below and it worked very well with no hard scraping.

Strippers are so weak these days but would be interested if you have found one worth using.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
Be careful with teak oil what the chandlers sell also has linseed oil in it so the teak goes black with UV damage, as we found out. I had to sand all the teak to get the black out. Buy pure teak oil.

ClaireDuet

littleyachtduet.com
I tried Olj Deks D1 for the first time last year on my rubbing strake and am not going back to varnish. I did 7 coats onto clean wood before launch which is really not as arduous as you'd think. It's oil so you just slap it on and mop up any drips. Mid season I gave the bow area one side a sand and re coat where the anchor chain had rubbed, and then when she came out at the end of the season she got another quick tickle with wet and dry and another coat. Has lasted very well all winter.
http://littleyachtduet.com/tag/olj-deks/

I'm a big fan of Nitromors for varnish removal too...