Quick Question re: Antifreeze for Volvo Penta D6-350

Advantage

Visit site
I would like to have better freeze protection than Volvo Penta's green ready mix coolant (22567233 (new part #) and 1141674 (old part #).

Does anyone know if I can mix their green concentrate (part # 1141646) with their ready mix coolant?

VicS

Visit site
I would like to have better freeze protection than Volvo Penta's green ready mix coolant (22567233 (new part #) and 1141674 (old part #).

Does anyone know if I can mix their green concentrate (part # 1141646) with their ready mix coolant?

I dont understand what you mean by" better freeze protection". The ready diluted antifreeze, or a 50% mix of antifreeze concentrate and water, will give you all the protection from freezing (and corrosion) that you require.

There are basically two types of Volvo Penta antifreeze. The green coloured "coolant" and the yellow coloured "VCS coolant". The green coolant is a conventional antifreeze using a low silicate type of corrosion inhibitor. It is used mostly in older engines, The yellow VCS coolant uses an "organic acid technology" (OAT) type of corrosion inhibitor. It is used in more modern engines ( all cars since about the mid 1990s )

The two types MUST NOT be mixed

Both are ethylene glycol based. Both are available as the concentrate which you dilute 50:50, or ready diluted.

You should stick to the type , yellow or green, specified for, or originally supplied in, your engine ( special cleaning procedures are necessary if the type is changed)

Your choice entirely whether to use the concentrate diluted 50:50 or the ready diluted. ( there is no advantage in increasing the concentration by adding more concentrate . In fact the lower heat capacity of ethylene glycol compared with water might lead to overheating problems) Note however that VP recommend limits to the dissolved solids concentration in the water used for diluting the concentrate... Unless your water supply is relatively soft distilled ( or deionised) water is recommended. ( This is explained in your users manual).

There is nothing magic about the VP antifreeze You can save money by using an antifreeze from Halfords or your favourite motor factors. Just be sure to use the right type. Conventional or OAT. Again you will have the choice of ready diluted or concentrate to dilute 50:50 yourself. The colours may not be the same as VP use

The conventional type is sometimes called " Inorganic acid technology"... a term which to my mind is more likely to cause confusion with "organic acid technology".
The OAT is sometimes called "long life" but extending the life in marine use is not recommended due to the possibility of contamination with sea water. In your car you can extend the life to 10 years

Last edited:

Advantage

Visit site
Yes, thanks for the reply. Yes, I realize you cannot mix yellow and green. I was specifically asking about mixing the green ready mix with their green concentrate. Respective part numbers included in aforementioned post.

However, I should have provided more details. The Volvo Penta ready mix coolant says freeze protection up to -11 degrees Fahrenheit. It says that directly on the front of the jug. I require better freeze protection than that and thus my original question. I would rather not flush this coolant from my engines but will if mixing is not recommended.

Yes, for the record, most other 50/50 ready mix coolants have a freeze protection of -35 degrees Fahrenheit. This is ideal for my climate. Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Yes, thanks for the reply. Yes, I realize you cannot mix yellow and green. I was specifically asking about mixing the green ready mix with their green concentrate. Respective part numbers included in aforementioned post.

However, I should have provided more details. The Volvo Penta ready mix coolant says freeze protection up to -11 degrees Fahrenheit. It says that directly on the front of the jug. I require better freeze protection than that and thus my original question. I would rather not flush this coolant from my engines but will if mixing is not recommended.

Yes, for the record, most other 50/50 ready mix coolants have a freeze protection of -35 degrees Fahrenheit. This is ideal for my climate. Thanks again for your help.

Yikes, colder than -24c? You either need to keep the boat indoors, or move it somewhere warmer :D:D