Question.

burgundyben

Visit site
My boat is British Registered, Merchant shipping act, part one, Lloyds blah blah...

Now, it says on the cetificate "Port - Southampton", does that mean that when I have the Transom sign written I have to have "Playtime II" and "Southampton" or can I have "Playtime II" and "Hamble" ?

I'd prefer to have Hamble, but the bloke I bought the boat off (he who still owes me windscreens) reckons I have to have "Southampton" cos thats where its registered?

What do we think?

Cue TCM comment about fablon....I bet he doesn't now....cos he's a kantankerous git.

<hr width=100% size=1>"Who was he?"

rich

www.portofjersey.je
If the blue book says southampton,thats wots got to go on the stern, one of my old boats was reg; pool, it had been in jersey 35 years.

<hr width=100% size=1>rich :))

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>The name on your stern should (MUST) always be allied with the Port of Registry. The only dudes who can put what they like are those with unregistered vessels.
You should consider yourself lucky, how would you like to be registered in MIDDLEFART which is an official Danish port of registry. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
But can he put

P L A Y T I M E I I
Hamble
Southampton

?

And who really cares anyway if he puts Hamble on the back?

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.FairlineOwnersClub.com>Fairline Owner's Club</A>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Oh. Somebody will care all right. Half of Shutlbut for a start. Byron will go completly ape shit of course. What ever you do do not mention flags!!

<hr width=100% size=1>
smiling.gif
Haydn

Blue_Blazes

Visit site
Ben,

Most registered boats here in Alderney are Guernsey registered, and therefore must have "wotsisname Guernsey" on the transom. Owners tend to put "Wotsisname Alderney" with Guernsey in little letters underneath. Not strictly kosher, but I've never heard of anyone getting pinched for it. Alternatively you could change her name to "Playtime of Hamble" and put that on the stern with Southampton underneath. It's all bollocks anyway. How many of those big ships registered in Monrovia are from there, or have been anywhere near the place?

Bill

<hr width=100% size=1>

byron

RIP
Visit site
It's all bollocks anyway.

<font color=blue>
Not really, Registration gives you a whole load of rights under international law, rights not enjoyed by non-registered craft.
Also Registration gives you a number of benefits. It enables you to prove title to your ship, allows you to register a marine mortgage, provides internationally acceptable documentation to ease passage to foreign ports, entitles you to protection from the Royal Navy and the services of British Consuls. Also it can enhance the resale value of your ship and improve your security when buying another vessel. Additionally, it enables you to prove your date of build to gain exemption from the EU recreational craft directive.
To all extents and purposes a vessel registered in the C.I. enjoys all these rights too as the C.I. are 'protected' by the U.K. even though the have autonomy.
Here endeth my Sunday Sermon /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Blue_Blazes

Visit site
Forgive me Father Byron, I have sinned.

I was not intending to commit heresy against registration itself. All that you said in your (mercifully short) sermon is gospel truth. The bollocks I refer to is the requirement to display the port of registration, which in most cases does not give any indication of the vessel's actual home port.

Will 3 Hail Marys and an Our father do?

<hr width=100% size=1>

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>Prostrate yourself or put your thumb on your Prostrate Gland and all will be well. Thou wilt go to heaven /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

tcm

Visit site
Unfortunately you shd havbe the name of the port of registry on it. But you could re-register it in Hamble?

There see, I haven't mentioned Fablon at all. Ececpet the once. Is there a port caled fablon? - you could register it there, mebbe?

<hr width=100% size=1>

tripleace

Visit site
I never though I would every be able to correct Byron.

Prostate gland

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boating-ads.co.uk> Triple Ace Link

jfm

Visit site
I agree with the others, you have to put Southampton. Smallish letters are ok though. You cannot re-register it in Hamble, AFAIK, because the part 1 register only accepts big places like Soton, Liverpool, London, etc. You have to pick a place off their list, not your own Wooton Creek or whatever.

A good way to make letters is print em in massive-ish font on MS Word or a graphic program like Corel Printhouse or such like. Then tell the puter to mirror image them. Then cut fablon into A4 sizes, and print the letters on reverse side (the backing paper). Then cut out and stick on boat. Result is nice fablon letters, and on a Fairey this extra fablon around the transom area will add structural integrity too :)

<hr width=100% size=1>

NorthernWave

Visit site
ooops!!!

When I got our boat it had written in 8 inch letters across the transom 'NORTHERN WAVE GRIMSBY'

That came off very quickly 'GRIMSBY' for christ sake!!! it now says Northern Wave Chichester.

So shall I put in small writing somewhere registered in Grimsby (very small)

Chris

<hr width=100% size=1>Logged Sea Miles wanted for masters. Send PM if your on south coast and want skipper or crew.

milltech

www.iTalkFM.com
Ben

You could officially re-name your boat "Playtime II of Hamble" and then have Southampton "in little" underneath.

<hr width=100% size=1>John
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.allgadgets.co.uk>http://www.allgadgets.co.uk</A>

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>Ah but spelled the correct way it loses it's effect. It's called poetic licence

burgundyben

Visit site
thanks john, I had thought of that, maybe I'll just go with southampton, send us a PM with your best price for 2 (my mate nees one also) Nasa DSCs, oh and are they in stock yet?

and who ever it was that said I could have fasblon letters can bugger off, its being done in gold leaf.

<hr width=100% size=1>"Who was he?"

KevL

Visit site
I've just had to register mine and happen to have the "Instructions for carving and marking" form on my desk. The complete text reads....

_________

INSTRUCTIONS FOR CARVING AND MARKING

A pleasure vessel which is under 24 meters in length is required to be marked as follows:-

(a) the official number and registered tonnage are:-

(i) to be marked on the main beam or, if there is no main beam, on a readily accessible visible permanent part of the structure of the pleasure vessel, either by cutting in, centre punching or raised lettering, or

(ii) to be engraved on plates of metal, wood or plastic, secured to the main beam or, if there is no main beam, to a readily accessible visible part of the structure with rivits, through bolts with ends clenched, or screws with slots removed.

(b) the name and port of choice (unless an exempted ship), are to be marked on a conspicuous and permanent part of the stern on a dark ground in white or yellow letters, or on a light ground in black letters, the letters being not less than 5 centimetres high and of proportionate breadth, or, where this is not possible by alternative methods given below:-

(i) by engraving on plates of metal or of plastic or by cutting in on a shaped wooden chock. Where a shaped wooden chock is used it should be secured to the hull through bolts, the ends being clenched, or

(ii) by individual glass reinforced plastic letters and numbers approximately 2mm in thickness. These to be fixed to the hull with epoxy adhesive, and painted with suitable paint and coated with translucent epoxy resin;

(iii) where metal or plastic plates have been used these must be fixed by the use of epoxy adhesives. Metal or plastic plates secured by adhesives should be coated with translucent epoxy resin after they have been fixed in a position.

Exemptions:
Pleasure vessels owned by members of exempted yacht clubs are not required to have their ports of choice marked on their sterns.

OK so that is what is supposed to be done. How you interpret this and what you do is up to you, in secret I don’t think they ever check anyway but you never know.

KevL

<hr width=100% size=1>--
It may be the early bird that catches the worm but its the second mouse that gets the cheese.

adarcy

Visit site
Re: Not quite Byron.

See KevL who has mentioned an important exception

<<Exemptions:
Pleasure vessels owned by members of exempted yacht clubs are not required to have their ports of choice marked on their sterns. >>

Therefore Blah Blah Royal whatever YC does not need Port of Registry

Sorry but nitpickers just have to do what they have to do.......

<hr width=100% size=1>