Question on removing Bukh DV36 saildrive.

Jcorstorphine

Visit site
I am in the process of refurbishing an LM28 and have a couple of concerns regarding the Saildrive. One is that it is 10 years since the diaphragm/s were replaced and I have a suspicion there may be issues with reverse.

I cannot lift the engine and saildrive in one complete unit due to the construction of the cockpit floor unless I cut away a transverse section, I can however lift the saildrive out if I separate it from the engine. I have looked at the C/S drawing of where the saildrive bolts to the engine and it appears that the splined saildrive shaft is about 25 mm.
My questions is, assuming I only need to pull the saildrive back 25 mm, will I be able to lift the saildrive and still clear the suport moulding. Guess what I am asking, has anyone else removed a Bukh Saildrive.

Thanks

coaster63

Visit site
Hi its been a while 1990's since doing various jobs on bukh 36 in a LM32 , bridge deck does scupper direct lift out of engine box. So Iirc. Removing g/box ,drop leg ,release rear engine mounts&tip/lift slightly and remove gbox.its now possible just! to remove top seal clamp ring bolts to remove diaphragms.I already had new one's and found it difficult to determine the new from old once washed and dry,as they never see daylight or little if any stress,so end up in very good spare parts box.
NB.it is also possible to remove engine from gearbox and leave box and leg in place,with temp support strap whilst afloat been there done that , joys of boating eh.
hope this helps slightly.

Last edited:

Jcorstorphine

Visit site
Thank you so much for your comments and advice. I have never been a fan of any engine installation which is based on an outboard bottom half such as saildrives or outdrives but I could not walk away from purchasing my LM28 as the asking price was about 1/5th market value. Your comments fall exactly in line with what I have gleaned from the manual but its good to hear from someone who as got the Tee shirt fo the task. Biggests issue is going to be access down though the watertight enclosure. The watertight enclosure is a great idea from the hull integrity point of view but a pain regarding accessibility made worse by the fact I have DV36 in a space normally occupied by a DV24 on the LM28.
Thanks.
John.

coaster63

Visit site
Hi , yes the box is good i thought mainly as a noise suppressor especially with smooth three potter, I think LM box is same size anyway so access will pretty much depend were bridge deck crosses , on 32 nothing would come through the gap at the rear of box and floor & often thought a removable flanged section would have been a big help ,as to your g/box suspected problem just a thought have you tried to replicate fault with cable disconnected changing manually with someone on the throttle in wheelhouse,as I a big fan of if it aint bust leave alone, but cables can need readjustment to take account of age and wear,
good luck.