Question for those clever ones ....

G

I STILL own a Magellan Meridian GPS handheld. It still works and fits the cokpit bracket a treat ..... BUT

It takes ages to log on and start displaying - can be up to an hour sometimes, generally about 20 - 40 minutes if not moved from last switched of point !
It stops every so often and diplays the warning that position info is old and it starts showing the ***** again as its taking info from sats .....

I don't need to replace it, I would just like to know why it does it ... the sats are the same, apart from SA switched of, the Y2K and rollover week are not a problem on this model etc. etc. So why ?????

andrewhopkins

Visit site
A couple of ideas...

Im no expert on these but 2 things come to mind:

1. The arial is dodgy so its struggling to pick up the signals and loses them sometimes.

2. You originally had this GPS in somewhere like Scotland and you havent reset it for its new cruising ground. It's still looking for the satellites above scotland. I believe you can reset it or give it an approx lat/long to help guide it on start up.

The fact that is goes "****" at you suggests that 1. is more likely as it loses the signal.

PaulJ

Visit site
Re: A couple of ideas...

I don't know the particular model you mention but if it has a built in flat plate antenna, some of these are not very sensitive and need a good clear view of the sky. A friend of mine had a elderly Magellan and even the sail getting in the way was enough to block out some of the satellites..... needless to say it wouldn't work at all down below. Modern hand-helds with flat plate antennae seem much better.

G

I actually have a log of lat / long for initial set-ups in Tallinn and Uk where I use it.
The antennae is detachable and has been cleaned / checked on contacts.
The datum is set for the area in question.
I have left it on a clear deck IN port, sat it at the apartment window, sat it in the car ..... same whatever !

Only place it seems to be marginally better is back in hayling on the UK boat !

Sammy

Visit site

Think that model only tracks a small number of satelites and so takes a long time to establish. Worse if there is a problem with the system which does happen quite frequently, this does not show up with the 12 channel receivers.

johnt

Visit site
Hi Nigel I use the same model. have a word with Next Direction technical support , they can tell you what buttons to push to do a boot check and to find out what software version you have. mines v 4. something.

It doesnt like logging on from cold and needs a hand to set up
i.e. initialise with a position fairly close to the actual position. and as for the old hourglass, thats when your speed has decayed to damn near zero ..usually at the worst possible time! I just swear and do a cold reboot ..oh and you get bad satallite configurations as well , it dont like em all bunched up or all on one side,

Incidentally ......has yours got a little stress crack in the bottom left hand corner of the screen ? 3 of mine lasted one season and the crack appeared, they changed all of them without to much hassle .

oh and for the techi's Its a quadrifilar aerial , whatever the hell that is! 4 bits of string probably

jfkal

Visit site
Get the software version checked. Might be still the one before the last date rollover. Meaning it always will do a cold boot which takes ages. If you bought the unit in or before 1999 this IS the problem. In case it is a 2000 or younger model some of the other suggestions might be worth looking at.

How do I know? Got mine upgrades and it works well now.

zvidoron

Visit site
Nigel,

Treat yourself to a 12 channel Garmin 126 or 128, and/or to a Garmin 12 handheld. They are not expensive and will give you years of super service. It is also a company that is a joy to do business with and receive service from.

G

Maybe the signal got PIKED Nigel
Or do I mean spiked?

G

I use a Garmin 128 on the 12 mtr that I have access to and agree that its a good piece of kit. I used to use a Garmin 75 H/held years ago and actually preferred it to the Meridian I now hold !

But I am loath to spend on something that basically potters around the Solent and only races in Tallinn .....

G

I tried the web-site and got to the bit about Software upgrade etc. and found the key-sequence for software check .... trouble was it all ended up applicable to NEXT version up the models.
The Rollover / Y2K .... all checked out fine with the website ..... but I feel sure that the s/ware is the problem .... as many have indicated.

I'll have another go at the www site

Cheers

G

Where have you been ???? You ol' B '

Anyway shes OK, Magnus tasted fine, 1/4 tonner's going well - parted both fwd baby stays last time out ! she was flying !!!! UK boats still slow but engines pushing her fine !!!!!! When you getting down my way ? Next time home for me is debatable at mo - changed job and arguing with Customs to start new line of work !!!!! Soviet system never dies !!

steffen

Visit site
I could be that the internal lithium battery is flat. Happens when it gets no power for a long time. Result is that it does not remember its last setting and has to start from scratch searching for all twenty-odd sats to get a position, even the ones at the other side of the globe.

I had the same problem with my fixed on-board GPS after being powerless for a year and a half and now have the same with my handheld which i left in a locker with no batteries inside.

G

Almost certainly the internal battery, used to store the satellite details or "ephemeris". Without this it has to first find a satellite, download the ephemeris, then lock on, typically 20-30 minutes.

Probably soldered in and will need a competent electroncics technician to replace.

There has already been a thread on a Simrad GPS with the same problem and others will remember it happening with their Decca receivers.

Peter Goldsmith
07773 782626