Question about the MANTRA 19 yachts pl ?

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Thinking of buying a 19ft MANTRA yacht built by Blakes I understand

My question is, there a centre board partly, it appears, to be housed inside a false type keel, protruding beneath the main hull; so from looking at the pictures and diagrams on line and in mags, does this protrushion effect the yachts ability to stay upright when taking ground ?

Does it mean that the Yacht has to list apprecially , either one way or the other, or does the weight in the keel hold her upright ?

Anybody had any experience of this yacht, a MANTRA 19 ?

Thank you CP

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Presumably you mean the Manta 19?

I don't have any real life experience, but I was considering buying one once. I believe the keel is not 'false', but contains a significant proportion of the ballast. The 'centre board' extends the depth of the keel. I imagine that the boat would sit upright in soft mud, but lean over if dried out on firm sand etc. They are trailerable, and have Austrian (lake?) origins..

According to an old PBO publication -
LOA 18.7'; LWL 15.7'; Beam 6.6'; Draft 1.4' plate up, 3' plate down; Displacement 1,100lb; Ballast 396lb; Sail Area 167sq ft; Headroom 4.2'; Engine c5hp outboard; Designer A. Miglitsch; Builder Blakes.

FOR - Smart, well finished, 4 berth cruiser. Slippery performance. Attractive accommodation. Shoal draft.
AGAINST - Imprecise in light airs. Lightish construction.

Nigel_Ward

Visit site
The ballast keel is below the hull so it will heel when on the ground.
I owned one for four years and really enjoyed it.
The big advantages are it is only 6ft 6ins wide and lightweight so is easy to tow, and the masthead rig means the mast is short and light so easy to raise.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Presumably you mean the Manta 19?

I don't have any real life experience, but I was considering buying one once. I believe the keel is not 'false', but contains a significant proportion of the ballast. The 'centre board' extends the depth of the keel. I imagine that the boat would sit upright in soft mud, but lean over if dried out on firm sand etc. They are trailerable, and have Austrian (lake?) origins..

According to an old PBO publication -
LOA 18.7'; LWL 15.7'; Beam 6.6'; Draft 1.4' plate up, 3' plate down; Displacement 1,100lb; Ballast 396lb; Sail Area 167sq ft; Headroom 4.2'; Engine c5hp outboard; Designer A. Miglitsch; Builder Blakes.

FOR - Smart, well finished, 4 berth cruiser. Slippery performance. Attractive accommodation. Shoal draft.
AGAINST - Imprecise in light airs. Lightish construction.
The ballast keel is below the hull so it will heel when on the ground.
I owned one for four years and really enjoyed it.
The big advantages are it is only 6ft 6ins wide and lightweight so is easy to tow, and the masthead rig means the mast is short and light so easy to raise.
Given the light weight and draft with the plate up drying legs would be pretty easy to construct, if staying upright on hard ground was important.

Ahoy there, thank you for your constructive comments on my questions re the MANTRA

Yes it appears that drying legs are the best course o action when drying out on hard grounds, theuprobably fairly short considering the low draft with the plate up.

Thanks also for the comments on its sailing ability; tis always a concern when considering buying a Sailng Craft , which is poss fairly rare so comments upon its ability is most welcome.

Thank you CP

Capt Popeye

Visit site
I have a bradwell 18 not a manta 19 but it has a very similar kind of swing plate thro a stub ballast keel. She settles upright on any softish ground or mud. On hard sand or shingle she lists to one side or the other, prob approx 30 degrees or so.
Ahoy Mr S Y thank you for that help and info, helps me greately decide upon for me, its a yes or a not this time

Guess tge 30 degrees is from the vertical , not the horrizontal ?

So yes simple beach legs so as to get a good nights sleep, I guess.

Might I also ask if you found the craft OK to spend a Weekend On ? space /comfort wise that is

Your response greately appreciated CP

Kilo

Visit site
Have you had a look at the Manta 19 website? Plenty of stuff there - not as I recall about drying out & supports but loads about cruises long & short.

steve yates

Visit site
Ahoy Mr S Y thank you for that help and info, helps me greately decide upon for me, its a yes or a not this time

Guess tge 30 degrees is from the vertical , not the horrizontal ?

So yes simple beach legs so as to get a good nights sleep, I guess.

Might I also ask if you found the craft OK to spend a Weekend On ? space /comfort wise that is

Your response greately appreciated CP
I cant tell you about Manta's obviously, but I have spent weeks at a time on the bradwell. It is cramped as I am 6 foot, but cosy. I cant even sit upright insode! I have solved that now by building a new companionway seat cum batter box that gives me full sitting room evenwhen the hatch is closed, and a comfy lounging position too.
If you liken a big boat to staying in an apartment, the bradwell is like camping.

Kilo

Visit site
I have one and wish I could give you more info but I've yet to sail her! In fact I've had two :rolleyes: made the idiot newbie mistake of buying a boat that needed too much gear replacing & too much work to be economically viable - draw up a list of newbie foolishness and I'm working my way down it.... :( plenty of mistakes to come.
Plenty of adventures to be had when I can get Mimi on the water:D
Anyway, I've been thinking of drying out legs too, happy to pool ideas & v interested to follow your progress.
I'm a bit wary of posting links here as the last time I tried I was banned! Still don't understand what that was all about. However, there are quite a few on the continent from the original Austrian builder and I think a German forum.
I can't check right now but think they are Sunbeam 19s?

Capt Popeye

Visit site
I have seen, on dinghy cruising forums, an idea of pulling a ball fender or couple of fenders under the hull as the tide drops when drying out on harder ground, which seems to work.

Hi thank you steve that sounds like a good idea to me; poss a bit more steady than legs although a bit of a lean on still
The other idea I had (ideas are cheap) was making up some boards for each side rather like the Dutch Lee Boards , but nowhere near as big or heavy , that could be lowered down at she settles; but thoughts thank you, much appreciated CP

Kilo

Visit site
I'd forgotten about the fender idea, maybe better suited to dinghys due to their flatter bottoms, I can't remember off hand the dimensions of the keel but reckon it's at least 400mm.
On the face of it, spreading the load through legs seems to be more stable, then again the seabed probably has more to do with stability than anything else??