Quest Taken By Pirates - At The Risk Of Repeating Myself...

bryantee

lefkas Greece (Summer)Cochin india(Winter)
Visit site
containment

back in the seventies the RN had enough back up to service the Biera patrol. surely the combined forces could effect the same blockade. up to a fifty mile offshore free fishing zone for somalia fishermen.
over that check out /in guard ships at north and south check points.. with free issue of f/f transponders. no registration no freedom to roam. offshore no go corridor 50mile wide north to south.

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
back in the seventies the RN had enough back up to service the Biera patrol. surely the combined forces could effect the same blockade. up to a fifty mile offshore free fishing zone for somalia fishermen.
over that check out /in guard ships at north and south check points.. with free issue of f/f transponders. no registration no freedom to roam. offshore no go corridor 50mile wide north to south.

Under what authority would the UK navy be restricting the movement of Somalian vessels in international waters? Without some formal mandate - from the UN? - I really can't see this happening.

robertj

Visit site
The comodity of human life isn't high enough to warant the investment needed
in the governments eyes. Their aim is to protect business (ship/cargo) not their own people,
a sad fact but true I feel.
What can be done? Well I don't know! yachtmen can't fight they can't run
other than avoid the area, there isn't much can be done.

maxi77

Visit site

Having served on the Beira Patrol in the mid 60s when it started there is no way the forces deployed could control all ships. The Beira patrol worked reasonably well because merchant ships tend to follow fixed tracks and there was a focal point at the Beira fairway buoy. We could never have stopped small craft trying to get past us.

Far better to secure the coast itself and thus remove the safe have for the pirates.