Qualifications needed in the Med?

GravyStain

Visit site
Hi,

We have a 1/4 share in a Squaddie 58 in Cala D'or and are looking to bin our Williams 325 and put a jet Ski on the back.

Any of you guys know the laws in Majorca ref using the Tender / Jet Ski. Do I need a licence (PB2?), does my day skipper qualify?

Any help would be appreciated.

G.

jfm

Visit site
It's hard to keep up with precise law but I think an International Certif of Competence (ICC) is fine. You get this automatically from RYA, on application, if you already have DS

jrudge

Visit site
I am in cala dor also.

I have had this discussion with someone and I was told I needed a specific jet ski qualification.

This was simply a discussion and I don’t have a jet ski so I took it no further. Check on the rya website and it may depend on when your cert was issued.

There are now huge volumes of jet ski in cala dor for hire and there is a general view is it now out of hand and that there needs to be action to ensure the hire companies follow the law - which rhymes mostly do not as you are likely aware!

That said the U.K. do not require a licence for anything so on a U.K. reg vessel you are likely ok. I keep my icc current so if asked by a man in a uniform I can show them a licence. I have never been asked.

Hurricane

Visit site
Actually, my ICC specifically lists that I am qualified for Personal Watercraft.
I think I got it as a result of my rescue boat training at my sailing club when I was one of the safety team.
But I'm sure you could have your ICC endorsed with PWC after the appropriate RYA course.

Portofino

Visit site
My take on this .It’s just a matter of time the real rules are enforced.So get a local jet ski ticket in the host state .

Comity

Its currently over looked at the mo in the EU , but your ( what ever flagged boat ) stays effectively permanently, more than 6 months then by the book they can now insist you follow local rules , so no change per se after 1/1/21 , just a question if a cattle prod from Brussels comes down forcing the Sp FR or what ever to apply it .

You can see why waaaaay back in 2005 I did the French permit d Mer .Already had the RYA tickets btw , this was as well as ,not instead of - because at the time the boat is / was not transient in the Cote d Azur .

The rag on the stern stuck to a pole is irrelevant if you are effectively permanently berthed in another states waters , which you are .

This “ British flag = British rules “ debate regularly crops up. I think you need to read Uncloss 11 and other international agreements. The coastal State can impose whatever conditions it wants on vessels NOT on innocent passage. Portugal for instance requires pleasure craft there for more that 6 months to carry the same safety equipment as Portuguese registered ones although unlike a few years ago Portugal where foreign flagged boats that are deemed resident are required to comply with local rules on equipment. New Zealand also applies local rules to foreign boats that are resident, although like Portugal it exempts genuine visitors or boats on "innocent passage".

Innocent passage is an important concept in international law as that is when coastal states apply the principle of "comity" and respect the state flags rules. However once a boat starts cruising within the waters of the coastal state, and that time exceeds 6 months then “innocent passage “no longer applies and with it comity, although in practice most states do extend comity, at least for private leisure craft. That’s the current position within the Med.

Hurricane

Visit site

Bouba

Visit site
My take on this .It’s just a matter of time the real rules are enforced.So get a local jet ski ticket in the host state .

Comity

Its currently over looked at the mo in the EU , but your ( what ever flagged boat ) stays effectively permanently, more than 6 months then by the book they can now insist you follow local rules , so no change per se after 1/1/21 , just a question if a cattle prod from Brussels comes down forcing the Sp FR or what ever to apply it .

You can see why waaaaay back in 2005 I did the French permit d Mer .Already had the RYA tickets btw , this was as well as ,not instead of - because at the time the boat is / was not transient in the Cote d Azur .

The rag on the stern stuck to a pole is irrelevant if you are effectively permanently berthed in another states waters , which you are .

This “ British flag = British rules “ debate regularly crops up. I think you need to read Uncloss 11 and other international agreements. The coastal State can impose whatever conditions it wants on vessels NOT on innocent passage. Portugal for instance requires pleasure craft there for more that 6 months to carry the same safety equipment as Portuguese registered ones although unlike a few years ago Portugal where foreign flagged boats that are deemed resident are required to comply with local rules on equipment. New Zealand also applies local rules to foreign boats that are resident, although like Portugal it exempts genuine visitors or boats on "innocent passage".

Innocent passage is an important concept in international law as that is when coastal states apply the principle of "comity" and respect the state flags rules. However once a boat starts cruising within the waters of the coastal state, and that time exceeds 6 months then “innocent passage “no longer applies and with it comity, although in practice most states do extend comity, at least for private leisure craft. That’s the current position within the Med.
I agree with that...
Perhaps as a test, the OP should go to a jet ski hire place, show his credentials and see if he’s allowed to hire one

jrudge

Visit site
The rules are not enforced in any way. What irritates me is they have a man enforcing weed regs which won’t kill anyone but ignore jet ski that can and do ( albeit rarely ) kill people! They are also irritating but that is not An offence.

GravyStain

Visit site
Just had confirmation from a chap in Cala d'Or who skippers as well as has a brother who has a Jet Ski rental there too. His information is that Power Boat Level 2 is mandatory for Mallorca for all PWC above a certain power rating (Obvioulsy the slow, low powered boats that are non skippered / chaperoned rentals don't cont)...

It's not 'proof' in any way. I'll leqave you to make your own minds up...

As to whether it's enforced is another matter...

Thanks for all your thoughts chaps!

jrudge

Visit site
The rent one solo that is Spanish ref he is 100% correct.

For your own on the U.K. register unless there is a local bylaw ( I have no idea ) then I don’t believe a licence is required.

Portofino

Visit site
The rent one solo that is Spanish ref he is 100% correct.

For your own on the U.K. register unless there is a local bylaw ( I have no idea ) then I don’t believe a licence is required.
Are you meaning on “ innocent passage “ or permanently stuck there ?

By “permanently stuck there “ I am using the accepted over 6 months in said states waters .

I believe there‘s a distinction .

Bouba

Visit site
A lot of people seem very reluctant to take the local boating qualifications...I can only speak for France, but it’s not so intimidating...plenty of English language boat schools. You need a further qualification to go off shore (again France is all I know about)...the exam is more difficult (theory only) because it involves a lot of mathematics...but most of you on this forum are very technical minded...so that should be the easy part. There is an investment of time and money but for peace of mind...it’s worth it