Ql bow thruster problem

markhomer

Visit site
M
markhomer

Joined9 Jul 2008Messages647Locationclyde
Doesnt work any more .

Got caught and probably ran too long , but i now understand why folks do , however saved situation and berthed without damage .

Although thruster now goosed , it started squeeling or sounding like rough bearings , i assumed motor overheated and bearings expanded , but , once cooled , batterys full charge , making a noise , produces no thrust and touch pad sticks on in whatever direction you press untill you hit opposite which will stop it , oil in feed .

Any had similar ? It is fitted to a impression 434 , i know ql were supplied by volvo and only a few parts available as now obsolete .

Any sagely advice from experience most gratefully received.

Cheers .

Momac

Visit site
Take a look at the Albright high current solenoid which is probably fitted .
If the contacts are burned they may clean up but its probable a new solenoid may be required . The good news is Albright are still in business.

Lack of thrust could of course be due to other factors. The prop is plastic and in my case the prop failed while the shear pin did not. There is probably a second shear pin located internally between the motor and the gearbox.

markhomer

Visit site
It’s. Sounds like something broken higher up in transmission , I see they are prone to breaking the drive shaft , you can turn propellers independent of each other and hear grinding rattle sound inside boat , this would indicate to me that prop shear pins in place and breakage elsewhere , think there’s a relay problem too as when you select one direction motor runs continuously untill you press opposite , before you had to hold down in direction of thrust , letting go would stop it , does anyone know an expert on these old volvo QL units ? , they were sold by volvo , but manufactured by third party that have gone bust .

Last edited:

Momac

Visit site
There have you had a look at the shear pins behind each prop and a shear pin between the motor and the gearbox.
I don't think you will find any gear parts available

markhomer

Visit site
Fixed it , hit it with something heavy !!!.

actually dismantled this afternoon , checked props still turning independent of each other , removed props , shear pins intact , removed motor , no shear pin , rectangular shaft fits into matching housing on motor transmission all ok ,had to knock shaft down through tube (with gearbox) , pretty hard stuck with sikaflex , I used my heavy stainless steel emergency tiller . Dislodged gear box , water and oil ran out , then I noticed when you turned any of the shafts the others did as they should !!!

not really fixed guess my heavy bashing shift shaft and crown further down to mesh in with the two prop shafts , guess too if I put together and used they would come apart again and lose drive ,

Wonder if I whacked control box with hammer that would work too !

guess it’s time to replace the lot ! :( didn’t really expect to find anything good , but this was a surprise