Pulpit ..... Pushpit!

Kawasaki

Visit site
No, Tom it's a Taffrail, not a Taffy-rail, tho' Kwacka does rail a bit doesn't he?

On my odd adventures into, Scuttle bit section of this Venerable Forum.

I would like to ask 'The Panel'

Where and Why , would you use,

Frawcett knots and Smillen lines.

In relation to Pullpits and Pushpits?:p

Oh and by the way Mr Rush
My Credentials are imacculate ref various rails.

As a Booking Clerk employed by British Railways in the 60's.

I probably sent a few Peeps ('Off the Rails':)
Well deffo where they didn't want to go to:)

Well , twas the 60's :)

Last edited:

Tommyrot

yuan-hang.blogspot.com
The taffrail is a rail at the top of the transom; an integral part of the structure of the hull, on square riggers and other traditionally rigged vessels used as a fixing point for halliards, sheets and braces.

So my pushpit/stern pulpit/blunt end safety rail is possibly a taffrail then! :D

24042009.jpg

Ex-SolentBoy

Visit site
Over here...
It's always the Bow Pulpit and the Stern Pulpit.
Some folks do use the word Pushpit, but seldom.
L

I am not a great fan of tradition. As long as you can communicate that seems to me to be all that matters. If I say "Release the line from the pushpit" all I care is that they do the right line. So, as EVERYONE I have met calls it a pushpit I shall stick with that.

Keen_Ed

Visit site

Tresner

Visit site
The taffrail is generally the stern section of the capping rail set on top of the Bulwarks. As modern boats don't generally have bulwarks, the closest they have to a taffrail is where the deck meets the transom on the hull.

I'm happy to learn the name and use for of the taffrail. And here all this time I've been told its sole function was to keep Welsh Sinners from falling overboard! Now who told me that?

johnalison

Visit site
Pushpit occupies a similar place in my life to "pee" in place new "New Pence". Somehow, the awfulness of the modified word seems to sum up my annoyance at having to use it because there is no effective substitute.

Tidewaiter2

Turning Left this season?-Nach Friesians?
Visit site
It's not just the spelling, the whole pastime is going to the dogs!

Now there's a spelling for halyards that I haven't seen for a while. It used to be haul-yards .... obviously the rope for hauling the yard.

I always thought it was halliards as per Hervey Bentham et al. , and 'halyards' were an easy spell rya-ism for poorly read Solent 'dudes'. You learn something every day.

'Dudes'={dressed in permanent sunnies, and this seasons, matching, hi speed/gwip deck shoe-lets and HPX in the bar, instead of Club tie, Weefer jkt, Viyella shirt (collar done up!),'pink' Capt Cuwwies, wrecked but cleaned up DuBawwy's and your well used kepi Bretonnique under one arm.}

Last edited:

alan_d

Visit site
Now there's a spelling for halyards that I haven't seen for a while. It used to be haul-yards .... obviously the rope for hauling the yard.

The Oxford English Dictionary disputes that derivation. It would seem that the word started off much the same as the modern haulier, i.e. something or somebody that moves something, but became in the OED's phrase, "perverted by its association with yard" and acquired the "d".

H

halfway

How about from the source of the word pulse. As in beat.

Pit is obviously from pytt, as in a well.

Now think of the old ships that carried the religious message to the world. They all had that little bit in the front that the drum was played in. How else where you to keep time rowing. That is why the churches originally had figure heads on the pulpit. Boats occurred before our religions and well before Latin.

("Push" means to move out of the way. Hence the pit that the rudder was operated from at the stern. Ancient Egyptian boats had them. No idea what they were called then obviously. So the question is did we lose the usage of the word when the rudders stopped being oars.)

cliffordpope

Visit site
Words that start off as somebody's little joke can turn into perfectly acceptable words in their own right without anyone ever giving a thought to their origins.

The best example is "tandem". This was a Victorian joke refering to a double bicycle for two people, tandem being the Latin for "at length". It has now passed into the language not just in respect of bicycles, but brake master cylinders and processes generally.

snowleopard

Visit site
Bit of thread drift but is there an agreed nautical name for the goalpost structures at the stern, above the taffrail and pushpit!!

No. I tend to call mine a 'gantry'. 'Goalposts' is common.

Another one that has various names is the outer hulls of a trimaran. The options I've come across are 'ama', 'float', 'outrigger', 'hull' and 'pontoon'.

TradewindSailor

Visit site
No. I tend to call mine a 'gantry'. 'Goalposts' is common.

Another one that has various names is the outer hulls of a trimaran. The options I've come across are 'ama', 'float', 'outrigger', 'hull' and 'pontoon'.

I can add one ..... 'sponson'.

'Ama' is Polynesian and they have some interesting names for the trimaran parts : 'vaka' - central hull; 'aka' - the ama to vaka support beams.