PUFFIN DINGHY - Re-commission

oldsailer

Visit site
Hi, I'm new to the forum so please forgive me if I do something to offend. My question is, does anyone out there understand the ' Sail Numbers ' on Puffin Prout dinghies

please as I'm trying to date my vessel. The dinghy was made in Canvey Island, Essex and I was wondering if the serial number 1373 meant the thirteenth boat 1973. It

was just a guess but confirmation or otherwise would be nice. It is a plywood shell, so maybe it was an early one of the stitch and glue construction ? I understand that some

were grp.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Sail numbers are usually simply consecutive numbers, which would mean yours is the 1,373rd Puffin to be built. However, if she was home built from plans, the sail number is usually allocated when a set of plans is bought. Of course, plans can remain in a drawer for a long time before the boat is built.

I said "usually", and it's pretty much the norm for one-design dinghies. But sail numbers may be issued by a club, and may be numbers chosen for their significance. Mine, for example, is 3131C, chosen by a former owner because she's a Moody 31, and the number was allocated by the Clyde Yacht Clubs Association.

oldsailer

Visit site
Thank you so much for your reply to my Puffin project, it was most interesting. I had no idea so many were sold. Hope to have it on the water in

May, fingers crossed . Will keep you posted. Many thanks for your help and advice. Delighted.