Proud yet Green

Viking

Visit site
Just receive a message from my son - (I know I dont look old enough!) He's started his professional skippers training course. His given up a good job with BMW (working on the new mini) to go sailing. Oh to be young - I mean younger! again.
When he was younger, 10-16 he only like speed. Sailing was OK as long as was were racing or under motor, he did ALL the motor handling and manoeuvring from 10. So going to BMW mixing with cars was no surprize. I didnt thing he would be interested in sailing, Motorboats yes, he could handle a friends 40ft Fairline at 15.
So you can see. I'm proud that hes going 'pro' mixed with being a bit green with envy.
Hes in England and I'm here in Norway with no one to share it with. So I hope you dont mind me sharing this news with 'my friends' on the forum

tcm

Visit site
Joke ref: No 1: The Noah Joke

Sometime after the first trip on the ark, during which as you say they got nowhere, hadn't a clue about navigation and eventually ran aground...

Noah is at the Ark club, having quiet afternoon. He hears the voice of God.

"Noah! I need you to build another ark!" says God

"Rightyho!" says Noah "Same as last time perhaps but slightly larger freeboard do you reckon, O Lord?"

"No, this time I need it with ten decks"

"ten decks? Is that to fit in more animals, two of each as per usual, O lord?"

"No, Noah, just fill the boat up with water and then fill it with goldfish." says God "It'll be a multi-storey carp ark."

Magic_Sailor

Visit site
Lucky young man.

I thought you Vikings generally did things in the opposite order - learn to sail, come to England.....etc etc ...I even saw a film about it called "The Vikings" when I was a sprog meself....with only in jest.

Good on him.

Forbsie

Visit site
What a co-incidence!

I was talking with a Canadian guy in the pub last night who was either in that or the TV Series sequel.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/forbsie?&page=1>My Project</A>

tcm

Visit site
Re: Pro skipper course

Good stuff, and useful that he has the power skills and experience. I read somewhere that 75% of the chartery superyachts are power, whereas 90% of skippers primarily train on sailboats and then need conversion courses. No, not "How to find a big mast and bolt a keel on", i mean a conversion course for the skipper.

porth

web.mac.com
Hi,
Why go green? Its never too late?.... In Norway they have a relatively short course which qualifies you to drive vessels up to 50 tonnes. Then all you need is a big boat with a passenger certificate and you've got a nice little summer job. The catch is the passenger certificate can be a b****** to get, depending on which city you are in. I sailed tourists around off Bergen for three seasons before an increasing number of brats (too much rape and pillage) and (therefore) decreasing amount of money forced me to get a proper job with too short holidays.
I dont know about Ålesund, but there are a lot of Nauticats, Bavarias, Swans, Princesses etc lying around in Bergen doing nothing, and there is a charter market; but it is not viable on a full time basis because the season is too short. Could be something for you?
Sorry, Probably a load of cobblers; really something I am dreaming of getting back to when those brats get big enough to scrub decks.

Viking

Visit site
Hi Porth

I know what you mean. The season is short for charterwork both bareboat and skipper charter. On my floor here in the office they is a charter company, they own the big 80' Maxi 'Longobarda' which they are now looking to sell have only two seasons.
But teaching I would enjoy. I did some charter skippering for a sailing school when I lived in England and I enjoyed that. I'll just have to polish up my rather poor Norwegian.

Another point - I cant seem to be able to send you a PM.
Anyway, A couple of us forum 'jockeys' along the Norwegian coast were wondering about setting up a sort of 'link' to help visiting UK sailing/cruising visitors.
It seems that over the past couple of season, I've been on this forum theres been inquires for information from people thinking for cruising Norway. The thought is that if we could provide a phone number at different ports along and around the coast which visitors could make contact for information, help and friendly number would be of assists if they get problems and may encourage more visitors?
Perhaps you can give me a E mail address to discuss it further if your interested

Regards