Protection racket?

Hoaroak

Visit site
There is a regularly advertised day boat, which is a one-design. I am a bit horrified to find that the sail manufacturer can,t sell me sails, and the trailer manufacturer can't sell me a trailer: all must be done through the builder.
Is this sort of 'closed shop' policy common? I can understand it being necessary to have the same design of sails, for example, if you want to race,but supposing you don't? Are these sort of questionable monopolies common in the marine leisure market? They would certainly not be tolerated in the professional marine commercial market.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Ivy

Visit site
I'm not sure,

I'm still trying to work out why there is only one monopoly's comission

Try going to a different sail maker, if the first one doesn't want your money I'm sure one of the others will, and try a different trailer supplier as well.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site
I seem to remember in the dim distant past something called the Restrictive Trade Practices Act...

In France it is illegal to refuse to sell something to a willing buyer.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site
I cannot believe that there are not sailmakers, nor trailer makers, who will not sell you what you want.

Who have you contacted so far, and what do you want?

Can't help you with sails, but there have been many post in these forums on recommended sail lofts. For trailers I can recommend SBS..if they can't provide what you need off the shelf, they'll be able to modify or build one that will suit.

<hr width=100% size=1>Err, let me know if Depsol enters the forum, I'll go and hide

snowleopard

Visit site
seems like a reasonable commercial practice to me. if i was subcontracting components for a product i wouldn't want my suppliers selling them in competition.

nothing to stop you going to another sailmaker or trailer builder.

<hr width=100% size=1>

extravert

Not far from Uwchmynydd, near Bwlchtocyn, just up
Visit site
The trailer maker and sail maker may be the manufacturers of the items, but they may not have been the designers. The design rights could be held by the boat manufacturers. The sub-contractors could not sell directly to you using someone else's design without their permission, which of course they will not get.

<hr width=100% size=1>Adventures of the VAT unpaid <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.xrayted.fsnet.co.uk>Teddy Bear Boat</A>

tcm

Visit site
Yes, but you have to actually have the thing. The baker can't be nicked for refusing to sell you a foredeck cleat. If the baker or sailmaker has no sail plans , then that's that.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Hoaroak

Visit site
Thanks to all for your interesting answers. So I guess there is no-one on the forum who can say 'yes, the Pussycat Class is built by X as a one design but sails can be obtained from Y and Z and V?
Trailer: well, it is probably an individual design, so point taken on that. I do have both now, by the way, I just find it leaves a nasty taste, redolent of the good old British rip-off.

<hr width=100% size=1>

quaelgeist2

Visit site
The sail can't be a problem. If you PM me, I'll point you to a sailmaker that WILL help you. Need the brand though.

As for the trailer - having the boat and maybe a wooden frame made, every blacksmith can adjust a suitable trailer for you.

What is your problem? The price - everything with MArine or yacht stamped on it doubles in price... whatelse is new?

<hr width=100% size=1>