Propshaft - to paint or not to paint

DaveAlpine

Visit site
I have recently renewed my propshaft - 304SS as 316 not available where I am!
I will be fitting two shaft anodes - should I anti-foul the shaft and prop(bronze)??

thanks

Dave

Chris_Stannard

Visit site
See the Thread 'Serious Anti Foul Questions' below. You will find, as always, there are a range of views. I personally do not paint props or shafts. I have never heard of anyone using black lead or lanolin before and am debating which one to try.

Chris Stannard

ccscott49

Visit site
Chris,
Honestly, all bullshit aside, black lead works, make sure you use the real stuff, some of the newer stuff is just basically matt boot polish! It will only really work on slow revving props, the abrasion on fast moving props takes it off, a little hard racing or bootop antifouling does stop fouling on shafts, I've done so for years, both my shafts and props are real bronze.

PeterGibbs

Visit site
Antifouling the shaft serves no purpose; cover it with Vaseline if you want to keep barnacles off. But the drag even from barnacles is not measurable!

The bronze prop will offer drag if fouled: but it is far better polished carefully and Vaselined too. Painting with antifouls is most unlikely to give you a better result because, even using the proper paints - you must not use regular anitfouls - it will flake and present a rough surface to the water compared to Vasilining it.

PWG