Prop Speed: Anyone Used It, Tips On Application

Farmer Piles

Visit site
As per the thread title really. I have some Prop Speed and plan to apply it in the next day or two now that the weather is set fair. Any handy hints or big "no,no" tips appreciated.

Chris H

Visit site
All I know is the props have to be very clean, no idea how to apply…….done by others !

I’ll let you know in a few weeks if it’s any good.

Attachments

• CC7FF191-1BB7-49E0-A605-59C6BA14C6E1.jpeg
    CC7FF191-1BB7-49E0-A605-59C6BA14C6E1.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 9

jointventureII

Visit site
All I know is the props have to be very clean, no idea how to apply…….done by others !

I’ll let you know in a few weeks if it’s any good.
Chris, we found it didn't last long on Arnesons. Had it applied a few years ago, by a yard that had done it to previous boats very successfully, so they knew how to apply it, but (despite me emailing Propspeed to see if it'd stick), after a couple of months it was gone apart from near the prop hub.

Farmer Piles

Visit site
Thanks.

A young guy I know is a chief engineer on a superyacht and he said that they are all having it done as a matter of course now. Pendennis Shipyard down here uses loads of it apparently.
PS: I do not own a superyacht!!

jointventureII

Visit site
Thanks.

A young guy I know is a chief engineer on a superyacht and he said that they are all having it done as a matter of course now. Pendennis Shipyard down here uses loads of it apparently.
PS: I do not own a superyacht!!

Yes certainly in Italy, hardly anyone leaves the yard without it nowadays.

I think it's worth it, on a boat with conventional shafts - Propspeed themselves said it'd be fine on surface piercing props but that wasn't our experience

Portofino

Visit site
Amico use this stuff .It works .
4FCE13D7-3853-436B-B5DD-859645652DC5.jpeg
Under coat ^ first or primer .

10B2E377-A823-4096-9870-3F9D94D54556.jpeg
Finished stuff .^
I have asked what it is but got no real answer .It comes on the invoice as ” surface preparations and covering of shaft , propellors and rudder @ €118 X 2 .+ tax later .

It works what ever it is .Seeing as threads about finding the holy grail of stern gear protection regularly crop up on here .I will endeavour on the forums behalf this yr ( June ) to find out from the yard the specific name of the stuff .

If you revisit the first pic there’s a gold primer on the SS bathing platform, rudder stocks as well .

It all works in season what ever it is .Wish I could tell you all exactly what it is .

I don,t think I could buy a tin of “snake oil “ for stern gear protection for under £250 let alone apply it correctly …..and by beginners fluke ends up working !

Up to now I have given up everything I have used previously,- a la Jountventurel - just ripped off so I gave up and prepped back to shiny metal for the past decade or so ,and in season dived in and manually scrapped them like everyone else .Just gave up .
like this .
C61B9B5D-A138-41A3-A6C6-45D38217C7EA.jpeg
Yard ^ in France .

0E1D06AE-D0D0-4BDE-8725-C0B34DA7C9F6.jpeg

E3E28EFF-763E-47A0-9060-DAA59E634121.jpeg
^ Typical growth after a few weeks of inactivity in the Med , with no protection .

This is all history now with Amico in Italy .

dpb

Visit site
Portos pictures look like Velox primer and topcoat. They are mad for it on props and shafts etc here in the Western French Med.
I have applied it this year but wont know how good it is till next year.

jfm

Visit site
I've used Velox Plus (the stuff in Porto's photos, I think) and Propspeed, both many times, in the Med. Both are pretty good imho and far far better than nothing, and sometimes almost perfect, but I think Velox is very slightly better and more consistently good. By which I mean I hear more stories of Propspeed not working, but then of course it seems a more widely used and marketed product.

jointventureII

Visit site
Yes that's definitely Velox, we had it on the San Lorenzo a few years ago. A fair bit cheaper than Propspeed if I remember correctly.

Seemed to do just as good a job - the key with both products seems to be to never let the boat sit for more than a couple of weeks at a time (in the Med, during summer).

Last summer we saw crazy high water temps and had the AC inlet choke up with growth, which has never happened in 5 years on the boat, so it was a really bad year.

Farmer Piles

Visit site
I've done the deed!
Spoke to Sam, owner of my local boatyard, watched the Propspeed video twice, my mate watched it too and then we gave it a bash. I will let you know in a month's time if we did it right/

EugeneR

Visit site
We had PropSpeed professionally applied in controlled indoor conditions and as per instructions. Within a few weeks, it was full of growth as if nothing was applied. Pain to remove afterwards. Key is, boat must be regularly used.

Hurricane

Visit site
I've tried lots of prop/shaft treatments and all have failed to stay on. The energy being dispersed under there is significant. Velox is just an antifoul with an etching primer. Didn't last the trip from SC to Mallorca (100 miles). The problem with all these treatments is that they start to come off at the tips of the props and work the way down to the hub of the props, never actually coming completely off. Then, next season, it is a real PIA to get the rest off for any re-application.

That said, I haven't tried Propspeed.

My solution is to polish the props and then do nothing.
We have a particularly aggressive marina which offers us cheap lift/scrubs (even get 1 free lift a year).
During the lift/scrub, I manage to get a good acid wash to get the props all shiny again.

You have to use your boat a fair bit before saying that any of these coatings work. As I say, the first hurdle is to get a coating that sticks with all that energy being released.

vas

Visit site
I've mentioned it before, using velox etch primer and a/f on shafts, props and rudders now for 4 yrs.
works, stays in place just fine.
Trick is to apply lots of VERY thin layers of primer and only way to do so is in a spray can, not roll or brush.
Same with a/f, so I take it to a paintshop that can put paint in spray cans, then spent an afternoon (no wind) to apply, job done.

Portofino

Visit site
These coats work but are very technique sensitive.Not only that but probably some environmental parameters need meeting too , ie air temp , humidity etc , metal temp , dew points etc etc a narrow ish window .Plus the basic mixing the stuff if it tends to settle out in its container??

Reading prop speeds blurb it does say rub down the surface and even specify the grade of sandpaper .
You gotta roughen up the prop surface .Look carefully @ the guy with blue gloves in the pic above on Chris s boat .

Then reflect what hurricane said .Polished smooth surfaces , the trad way .You can’t have both with prop speed .The two systems conflict .

Mines probably velux ( a Italian parent Co ) and thx for those identifying it , but it’s been working applied by guys doing it every day .It seems to work thus far .Its gone on end of May early June FWIW ?Only has to work until Oct which it does .

Also dock walking I did notice a lot if Italian boats in Loano mid season and even by September with a prop coats seemingly working .You know the sun setting and low light under the bathing platforms illuminating the stern gear .
Where as in France the majority had like my self and Hurricane given up …..so you witnessed various degrees of growth which necessitated a scrub next time the boats would be used .

The varying results reported are down to the technique sensitivity it’s a narrow band of a lot of things that have to right .