Prop Shaft coatings ,Cows udder cream

Seastoke

Visit site
so a guy has tried to convince me that cows udder cream from a farm supplier has good results ;he says it gas lanolin in it ,so is there any truth in this ,and how does it stay on during use ,by the way the beer was good .quay hotel

BruceK

Visit site
When the beer is good your gullibility factor increases. So does the embellishment of a good story. :encouragement:

superheat6k

Visit site
Lanolin is akin to most politicians - good in theory but a waste of space in practice. At best it will delay growth build up for the first 20 miles by which time the water washing across the prop will have eroded it away.

Avoid doing what the chap in Swanwick did a few years ago. He put some in the oven to heat it and soften it for easier application, then forgot about it when he was distracted. I think it caught alight when he then remembered and opened the oven door. His yacht and a neighbouring power boat were both engulfed, he was seriously burnt.

BruceK

Visit site
What I want is something that doesn't feed the barnacles. I was thinking of putting a half inch of grease on top of my stern drive above the cavitation plate. It's how we used to keep the harbour chains free of barnacles and mussels way back in the early 80's during my service years.

I seasons growth :(

x0bbxQN.jpg

Seastoke

Visit site
A
What I want is something that doesn't feed the barnacles. I was thinking of putting a half inch of grease on top of my stern drive above the cavitation plate. It's how we used to keep the harbour chains free of barnacles and mussels way back in the early 80's during my service years.

I seasons growth :(

x0bbxQN.jpg

Always the same on slow boats

Appledore

Visit site
Having read all this, in March I coated all of my through-hull outlets and the prop with Udder Cream ( already had a tub from some years ago). I have to report that the sea-life absolutely love it! Everything was virtually blocked up. It's a wonder the cockpit drains worked at all. Good job I don't use ther sink!

Firefly625

Visit site
I still use the TK Line clear spray antifoul on my prop, I have a prop hatch so I always intend to regularly clean my prop but as things went this year only opened up the hatch in September and found a clean prop. Not a barnacle in sight. Had a slight film of limescale on the blades which a brass wire brush cleaned off very quickly & was pleased with how it was. After the clean the boat went no quicker whatsoever so the slight limescale had no detriment.

Many years ago on my last boat I used that Prop shield waxy stuff, pain to put on in the winter as you need it hot (and yet Trev, that poor guy was indeed heating up his Prop shield in the oven). The results were terrible, actually appeared to feed the little critters and encourage them onto the prop, used TK Line ever since..

Hurricane

Visit site
IMO, nothing works in our part of the Med.
If you don't use you your boat, then painting the underwater metalwork with A/F paint works.
But after about 50 miles, it comes off.
Nowadays, I just polish everything and acid wash when we lift.

There is Propshield though - a lanolin with additives commercially available.
IMO that doesn't work either.

Back on the lanolin theme.
I did try an experiment - Lanolin vs Propshield vs nothing
See here - only treated one prop - the green blade is Lanolin

serve.php

That didn't work.
When we lifter later that season, you couldn't tell which prop have been treated so neither Lanolin nor Propshield worked.

BruceK

Visit site
Speaking of outdrives only. White grease liberally painted on above the cavitation plate worked an absolute treat in keeping barnacles at bay. Below that the natural self ablating AF was able to do its job once the boat was planing. Some filament weed developed by end of season above the cavitation plate, but removing it was simply a case of wiping the grease off and isn't a bother anyway unlike the barnacles and mussels we get.

Now I just have to figure out a way of keeping the critters outside the drives where they clog the water intakes.

cid

Visit site
I have used it on my yacht for over 5 years and have had good results. Prior to that I used Motor bike chain grease which was okish.