Prop antifouling

matt1

Visit site
I know this has been covered a bit before, but worth asking again given the advent of newer silicone types and the ever dilution of biocide

I’ve been using Hammerite special metals primer followed by trilux on the prop. The hammerite works a treat but the trilux comes off after a few weeks from what I can tell. Am tempted to try Velox but is it any different to a simple hard racing antifouling and would that be just as good?

Anybody in the UK who has had success with antifouling their folding prop?

Tranona

Visit site
Yes. Velox - primer and top coat on a Flexofold blades only as Eco Power or Trilux worked fine on the hub and the saildrive housing.

Attachments

• IMG_20190415_122646.jpg
    IMG_20190415_122646.jpg
    779.1 KB · Views: 7

matt1

Visit site
Yes. Velox - primer and top coat on a Flexofold blades only as Eco Power or Trilux worked fine on the hub and the saildrive housing.
Thanks! That’s the irony, the Trilux on the saildrive leg is as the least fouled area of the boat upon lift out. However it had mostly come off the the hub and blades

Tranona

Visit site
That is because the prop goes round!. The hub on mine used to get a few barnies on it but the blades stayed clean for the 2 years I had the boat after Velox.

matt1

Visit site
Are you abrading the Hammerite before overpainting? I use 180 grit before Velox and adhesion is not a problem.
Yes, I abraded with 180g before the Trilux, albeit quite a light and gentle use of 180 as I found it easily cut through the 2 coats of hammerite

MikeBz

Visit site
The previous owner of our boat put Seajet Pellerclean on the propellor, it appears to have done a very good job and - apart from on the very leading edges of the blades - has stayed intact. It consists of a yellowish primer and a clear rubbery topcoat. Expensive, but if it works and lasts a few seasons then it might be worth it. It'll be interesting to see how well it does over this coming season.