Progress at last!

Bru

Well-known member
Joined
17 Jan 2007
Messages
14,679
svpagan.blogspot.com
Finally a good weekend working on the boat!

Good job too 'cos she's going in the water next Saturday!

Two coats of antifoul, repaint the boottop (and raise slightly amidships given the clear indications of the waterline being slightly higher than the existing boottop), T-cut the upper hull (it's still not posh but at least it's not quite as shabby as it was!)

Fitted the Cookmate spirit stove ... well sort of fitted it. Miffed to find that despite measuring the hole before ordering it I must have b*lls*d it up because the cooker plus the gimbals turned out to be 1/4" or so too wide for the space. Rik spotted that the aft end of the 'ole had a second piece of 6mm ply glued over the galley carcass which he managed to prise off without doing significant damage and that created enough space to jam the thing in. It swings fine on the gimbals, folds down so the cover will fit but the lid won't open to remove the canisters for refilling 'cos the cooker lid catches on the gimbal bolts - we're going to have to do some major surgery to the galley to sort that out and in the meantime we'll have to remove the cooker from the gimbals to refill the burners. Good job they go several hours on a fill!

Getting the mast down proved a lot easier than I expected, no drama at all with experienced guidance from James Seedhouse. Just hope it goes back up as easily next weekend!

Stopping the night down in Ipswich on Saturday night made a big difference to how much work got done compared to previous trips. Maybe the pressure of the impending launch helped as well!
 

FullCircle

Well-known member
Joined
19 Nov 2003
Messages
28,220
Visit site
Well done, sounds like a really productive day. Hope the launch goes well.
Ours is going in on the 4th.
 

Fantasie 19

Well-known member
Joined
23 Mar 2009
Messages
4,459
Location
Chichester, West Sussex
Visit site
It sounds like me a couple of weekends ago... :D

Happily I'm the other side of the "hump" and mine is now back in the water but like you I was worried about the mast as well... Having spent 10 minutes over the winter making an A frame out of a couple of bits of 3 x 2 and an eye bolt though, I can honestly say that the mast raising was the easiest I've ever had... :)
 

Bru

Well-known member
Joined
17 Jan 2007
Messages
14,679
svpagan.blogspot.com
It sounds like me a couple of weekends ago... :D

Happily I'm the other side of the "hump" and mine is now back in the water but like you I was worried about the mast as well... Having spent 10 minutes over the winter making an A frame out of a couple of bits of 3 x 2 and an eye bolt though, I can honestly say that the mast raising was the easiest I've ever had... :)

I was wondering about knocking up an A-frame before next weekend to help get the thing back up. I've probably got some suitable timber kicking around in a shed somewhere.

It was easy enough getting it down with five of us and with the boat ashore but it was noticeable how it got away from the guy standing out front lowering it when it came down to about 20 degrees off the horizontal. It didn't matter as it was by that time near enough in reach of me and Rik standing on the cockpit seats so that we could catch it and lower it the rest of the way but how easy it will be to shove it back whence it came without some cunning contrivance is another matter - especially if we have to do it afloat (or ever want to do it afloat in the future)
 

Fantasie 19

Well-known member
Joined
23 Mar 2009
Messages
4,459
Location
Chichester, West Sussex
Visit site
I'm a convert without a doubt... and excuse the following if it's teaching granny to suck eggs, but my experience is recent and may be of use....

...make the A frame as tall as will fit just inside your pushpit for maximum leverage....

..I just lashed the legs onto two cleats just in front of where the forestays meet the deck - not too tight they couldn't act as a hinge, not too loose that the legs would shift....

...deploy it with the eye of the eyebolt facing down as it means your tackle will run more smoothly (lesson learnt previously! :D)

...I used the jib halyard to the eyebolt... you could use the forestay itself but mine has roller furling so I wanted to keep the foils out of the way....

...depending on how big your mast is (and I have a small boat - mast is approx 22 feet) I used my mainsheet as the hauling tackle - gave me 4 to 1...

...if the mainsheet isn't long enough, just put in a small piece of line to connect it to the A frame so it is long enough (lesson learnt).....

...when connecting everything up, have the mainframe angled towards to mast slightly as that gives clearance on the foredeck when the mast is upright....

...I had one other guy just checking the stays were all clear, and steadying the mast - he didn't have to do any lifting - I managed to do it all myself on the mainsheet. Once the mast was up he then braced it while I disconnected A frame and re-attached forestay....

...I was dead chuffed, hope your outcome is as good.... :eek:

* if you connect everything up on land it's one less thing to do afloat, and the boat is nice and stable...
 

Bru

Well-known member
Joined
17 Jan 2007
Messages
14,679
svpagan.blogspot.com
Thanks for that Fantasie-19, v. useful

Our situation is much the same - slightly bigger mast (maybe 25') but otherwise also roller reefing gear I do NOT want to damage (can;t get parts for it any more)

From your description I'm even more minded to knock up an A-frame

Cheers
 
Top