Proceedures for entering a French Port

G

I have just become the very happy owner of a 28 foot yacht and I am planning my summer cruise over to the Channel Islands and I would also like to visit France, but I am unsure what to expect as soon as I enter the harbour. St Malo would be an obvious choice, could anyone tell me what sort of reception I can expect, what documentation will I need, how much approximately are mooring/berthing charges? I speak a tiny amount of French (I intend to brush up before I go) how well do harbour masters(or their equivalent) cope with ignorant non French-speaking English men/women!? Any other suggestions of places to visit would be welcomed!

G

Check the frogs are not protesting and blocking off the harbour entrance.

G

I have only been into Calais but we looked up the details in Macmillans, radiod the port traffic control who at frist seemed to ignore us. Then just when we were going to try again they told us to wait for a ferry coming out and then proceed. As we had not been in there before we entered cautiosly and did ask port control where to moor whilst we awaited the lock for the yacht harbour to open but port control ignored us and it appeared that we were not important, or big, enough for a further conversation. They spoke English, although with a bit of a funny French accent, but at least they had learnt the language which is more than could be said for us! GOOD LUCK

G

Try to learn a little French - it will improve as the pastis goes down. If you try, the French appreciate it and are much more co-operative. I have many friends today that I have met in French clubs and bars over the years. By the middle of two weeks' cruise they begin to understand me (mainly due to increased consumption of alcohol on both sides

G

Re: French Ports

If you are doing the CI & St Malo try to visit Cherbourg after the CI - then you shouldnt need to fill out a C1328 (or whatever its called now) as your entry back to EC waters is via Cherbourg, and they very seldom give a damn!

St Malo - check the locking in/out signals & times. If you have the time visit Dinard & Dinan. Another good place to visit is Pampol, (about 10 hrs from St Peterport). You lock in there as well.

Paperwork - Passport, SSR & Insurance Docs - thats it.

Language - They are faced with monolingual brits all summer, & so will understand you even if you dont think you are getting through!

Prices - cheaper than UK & electric thrown in, in most ports. You do have to pay for showers though.

G

Sean, We were pretty much novices when the wife and myself first went foreign. we did Boulogne, The Somme estuary,Le Treport and all ports to LeHavre (we were making for Honfleur but it was so crowded we stayed out. Neither of us speak a word of French but we had absolutely no problem whatsoever, just follow the almanac and gather what info you can from other people( We found that even the almanac was out of date on some points and the pilot books often way out!) On our return an unfortunately typical snotty British big yacht type said to us " how on earth can you manage without speaking the language" to which my wifes reply was " A smile and a jolly face is the same in any language, and any way, we made more friends and had more laughs by not speaking the language" That seems years ago, and we were then only 23'. Now like you we are a bit bigger at 27' and have "done" Holland the last couple of years. DONT SPEAK DUTCH EITHER!!! Go ahead and do it all, If you do make the odd small cock-up the locals will soon let you know, and if you have a sense of humour they will be all over you with advice and experiences good luck Peter

G

Re: French Ports

The RYA do a booklet on all the paperwork you will need.Have fun Dave

G

Nigel above has mentioned SSR, (now Part III registration . However to endorse that; You must have an original document of registration of the yacht, if you enter a French port. Some new owners overlook this, as it's not necessary here in the UK. I've stood on a pontoon and seen an experienced friend fined FF1000 on the spot, simply for having only a photocopy. (Which had been recommended to him).

Registry of Shipping and Seamen Cardif. 01222 747333. (Just in case)

Other than that, a courtesy flag, flown at the crosstrees.

Cherbourg might be a better first destination. The tides and other hazzards at St Malo need some consideration.

Have a good time!

G

Sean, there are no worries. I am a relative newcomer to visiting French ports and have never fallen over any formalities. My strong suggestion is that you arm yourself with the Shell Channel Pilot or similar which gives full and detailed contact and navigation instructions for all French ports. then just go for it! I have always met with a friendly welcome and, no, I don't speak French. German yes, but that's no use! the big plus? Mooring fees are usually substantially less than UK.

G

Re: Thanks for all your advice!!

Thankyou for all your advice, it will come in handy! If any of you see a 28 foot seamaster 925 called Wanderer over the summer around the Exeter area (and of course the channel Islands in the first week or so of August)then please come and say hello!

Sean Foster

G

Re: 1st week of Aug

The CI's get quite full around that time, it might be worth a call by phone or radio to Port control to book a berth.

G

eeveryone is giving you silly answers so i will answer the question. take your ssr, and insurance plus passports plus e111, You will find the channel isle much more beuracratic than france with visits and forms. The french customs may search you if you are extremely unlucky, they all speak english so do the harbourmasters and every shop where you are likely to go. The bulk of their business is from over here. If you g to st malo and lock into the avant port the dockers can be funny if no bow lines ready takre atip go in last and raft up to someone. The french are like everyone else a smile a bonjour etc will overcome all probs Go for it Ps Dahouet is an interesting call if going St Malo way

G

Pas de problem........ Use your almanac/charts to find your way in - just as you would in your local waters. Visitor pontoons are clearly marked - if a port dory doesn't meet, greet and direct you, find a spare finger and tie up. You can either - Take the No. of your "place" and go ashore and register at the Capitainerie.(They note your name, nationality, no in crew, name and dimension of boat - how long you want to stay - then you pay and they provide Sanitaire code and a receipt) or - in season, someone will come and "knock" on the hull early evening or breakfast time and leave a registration card for you to fill in and take to the Capitainerie. If the Customs call - make sure you have all original boat documents and passports.... and smile and Bonjour In all our years of travel they've never asked specifically for any document but just seem content to be handed a folder and thumb through ...... Bon vent....

G

Stop off in St Helier on your way and you'll have a nice 6 hour sail to St Malo. Try to visit Chausey if the weather is good, but watch the visitors moorings in the sound as they dry out on a spring tide. Going up the Rance to Dinan is also a lovely trip. If you have time, then try some of the ports to the West. The best has to be Pontrieux - right in the heart of rural France. See http://www.letrieux.com/ for information.

G

Brittany - CI info

As an ex St Malo resident who still sails out of Jersey I am amazed at some of the misleading responses above. Joe and Nigel were pretty accurate. The paperwork is not daunting, although the approach to St Malo is interesting.

I recommend St Helier as a port of call as it is only 6-8 hours from St Malo. The route between Minquiers and Chaussey offers a less exposed trip.

If you are a little concerned about locks, Bas Sablon marina at St Servan is only a twenty minute stroll from the 'old' port. If you are haapy with locks you should go upriver to Dinan if you have less than about 4 feet draught. Sheltered but strongly tidal sailing. Chaussey can be difficult to access from the north, but is OK from the south. Very few facilities there. Brehat, Dahouet, Lezardrieux, etc. are delights. Costs from memory, were about 100FFr/night.

I am hoping to sail down from St Helier to St Malo next week. If you need any specific info or prices I can be contacted via email.

As long as the fog stays away you will enjoy it.