Problem with 2 ring gas hob

SteveDH

Visit site
Hi All,

I'm hoping that someone here has some experience with gas hobs?

Whilst away this weekend, our gas regulator failed and delivered unregulated (cylinder pressure) Camping Gas to the Techimpex 2 ring gas hob in our S38. I pressed the ring control knob in preparation to light it, and the gas pressure from the jet nearly blew my hat off so needless to say, the match didn't get struck!

Techimpex 2 ring hob.png

I replaced the regulator which sorted the problem, but now when I light the rings, they don't stay lit when I release the control knobs.

The flames seem (very) slightly less lively than they were previously … but the thermocouples are fully engulfed in the flames and the fail-safe devices seem to operate ok (I can hear them click a few seconds after the flames go out).

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here … could the excess gas pressure have damaged the controls in some way?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

SteveDH

Visit site
Hi Boathook,

The distribution plates and burner caps have some pretty non-negotiable positioners, so I'm pretty sure these are fitted correctly.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards

Steve

VicS

Visit site
Hi All,

I'm hoping that someone here has some experience with gas hobs?

Whilst away this weekend, our gas regulator failed and delivered unregulated (cylinder pressure) Camping Gas to the Techimpex 2 ring gas hob in our S38. I pressed the ring control knob in preparation to light it, and the gas pressure from the jet nearly blew my hat off so needless to say, the match didn't get struck!

I replaced the regulator which sorted the problem, but now when I light the rings, they don't stay lit when I release the control knobs.

The flames seem (very) slightly less lively than they were previously … but the thermocouples are fully engulfed in the flames and the fail-safe devices seem to operate ok (I can hear them click a few seconds after the flames go out).

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here … could the excess gas pressure have damaged the controls in some way?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

That should not have happened with a marine ( Annex M) regulator because they have an over-pressure relief valve which should have lifted as soon as you turned the gas on, although some older ones (???) had a a gas shut off valve instead, I believe, but due to their complexities proved unreliable. Perhaps you had one of those. How old was it ?

Double check that no parts are obviously displaced and that the flames really are heating the thermocouples.

Often reported in the caravanning world are problems with an oily or greasy deposit in gas systems . Maybe this is your trouble and the high gas flow has blow a slug of it into the gas cooker and it is now partly blocking the jets.

Homer J

Visit site
Perhaps the gas bottle has expelled most of its gas during the venting and there is now too little to keep the pressure up. What about trying a fresh bottle?

SteveDH

Visit site
No - I had a fresh cylinder of Butane on-board so that's the first thing I tried. The gas line from the cylinder feeds into a small 2 way manifold with isolation valves behind one of the cupboards in the galley. I've removed this (suspecting there may be some sort of gauze or similar in the inlet connection), but there's nothing to preventing the gas passing through to the hob.

I'm suspicious that both rings have the same problem after the regulator change … more likely to be a problem with the common supply rather than a problem with both rings?

I guess it might be worth trying another regulator?

VicS

Visit site
No - I had a fresh cylinder of Butane on-board so that's the first thing I tried. The gas line from the cylinder feeds into a small 2 way manifold with isolation valves behind one of the cupboards in the galley. I've removed this (suspecting there may be some sort of gauze or similar in the inlet connection), but there's nothing to preventing the gas passing through to the hob.

I'm suspicious that both rings have the same problem after the regulator change … more likely to be a problem with the common supply rather than a problem with both rings?

I guess it might be worth trying another regulator?

Or make a simple U tube manometer with a length of clear plastic tubing and check the gas pressure . ( 1 mB = 0.402 inches of water)

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Often reported in the caravanning world are problems with an oily or greasy deposit in gas systems . Maybe this is your trouble and the high gas flow has blow a slug of it into the gas cooker and it is now partly blocking the jets.

I have only heard that happening in high pressure hoses with bulkhead regulators. Liquefied gas in the hose reacts with some component of the rubber. Not sure it could happen with a bottle regulator.

VicS

Visit site
I have only heard that happening in high pressure hoses with bulkhead regulators. Liquefied gas in the hose reacts with some component of the rubber. Not sure it could happen with a bottle regulator.

Yes I tried to find a bit more.. Also found a suggestion that the problem occurs with regulators that are at a low point in the system.

Once had a high pressure stove, no regulator. The jets had small gauze filers in them which used to get bunged up. I wondered if what ever caused that was causing the OP's problem but Id think it could well be low gas pressure

VicS

Visit site
Yes there are Butane and Propane regulators with different pressure settings.

Standard butane regulators ae 28mb

Camping gaz regulators are usually 29 mb

Dual fuel and marine regulators are 30 mb

Propane regulators are 37 mb