Probably a dumb question but...

G

In the Thames tideway thread further down certain charts were recommended to be used. These are the standard charts for the relevant areas. My query is what would be the benefits/pitfalls/problems of using the small craft charts covering the same areas?

G

Re: not a dumb question

The Small Craft Editions are adapted editions of the Admiralty charts, but they're essentially the same information. The backs of the charts outline the differences, essentially not very much at all.

Interestingly, whether a nice expensive full chart or the SCS, "the mariner must be the final judge of the reliance he can place on information given".

G

Matts,

thanks for that. But - which should I buy? There doesn't seem a fat lot of difference in price. Or have you already answered my question by pointing out that it is the mariner's responsibility to judge how much reliance to place on the information given?

Ian

trev

Visit site

Ian

I find the small folios win over full size charts for the sheer convenience of having one complete area in a handy sized folder with consecutive charts in order.
I have a chart table which measures about three feet by two feet and find full size charts cumbersome to handle especially with the wind blowing and the boat pitching.

Trev

G

Re: 2nd hand charts

chartsales.co.uk do these. Possibly not a bad idea, and get people into the idea of making changes to a chart rather than just buying it and keeping it nicely folded up because it cost twenty quid.

As for missing or changed buoys and such, spose it's a good lesson to be super-sure of where you are, with more than one marker checked against another, rather than just pointing at lonely markers and hoping that its abc1 or whatever. That way, when something has gone or changed, it doesn't stuff the nav department.

Other threads that may be of interest