Priddy and charts

G

See in MBY this month that Priddy hasn't bought a paper chart since 86. Relies totally on the electronics. And on his trip Swansea to Bangor, set the auopliot and radar to warn of any conflicts and then had a kip.

Is that how all you "electronic boats" do it now. Set the course, go to bed and wake up on arrival. Might as well be on a cruise ship.

G

Re: Priddy

I voiced dissent at the wonderful Priddy a while ago and Jake bit my head off. Reading between the lines, Lester seems to think he is a bit of a donkey. It he's going RTW, he must have bought a hatload of charts no? And that stuff about the telephones texting him as a wakeup call. And then he falls asleep. Excellent staying power I must say.

DepSol

Visit site
Re: Priddy

I know Alan personally and he is a great bloke and knows his stuff. May be he hasnt used a chart for so long cos his chartplotter has never broken down so he never had to.

He does more mileage than most of us put together and to go RTW is not to be sneered at. We should support our British record holders / attempters not mock them for what we may think is wrong!

G

Re: see?

Fraid there wasn't too much in the article that showed that he knows his stuff, although it didn't actually say "what a plonker". And anyway, how should we support them, one wonders? Not saying anything in the least bit horrid?

Seems a lot more supportive to point out that praps an alarm clock, another crew, a waypoint alarm system wd be better ways of noting an arrival point than using mobile phones and text messages. Duh. Of course, I wish him fair winds, and great bloke or otherwise, he'll need them. Especially if takes journalists out and then falls asleep in the middle of the irish sea, and hasn't bought any charts.

DepSol

Visit site
Re: see?

Looks like you have a chip on your shoulder about Alan, first time you have a pop and Jake shoots you down in flames so you thought you'd try again through the forum.

I doubt you'd try to cross the Atlantic in a RIB and then go RTW. He probably spends alot of time boating rather than talking about it!!!!

G

Re: oh dear

I'm afraid I reserve the right to express my opinions, Depsol. Especially here. I do a fair bit of boating, in all sorts of craft. I haven't set out to upset you, merely to express opinions. Everyone and anyone can do that here, and it's poor form that you often attempt to slap down any who disagree with your own views. Sadly, you do this quite often with me and with others. It's fine to drift off the thread, or disagree. It's not fine to resort to insults. Even if someone says that they don't like where you live, or don't agree with you or your one of your friends, or even if they (horrors!) disagree or gently mock you regarding the powers of various fuel additives.

As for me, when I do express my opinions...

- I won't use the forum to covertly recommend something in which I or my friends have a commercial interest.

- I won't misuse English in an attempt to dress up a poor argument and appear smart. As an example, if I remark upon someone's annoyance about something, I might say that they "have a bee in their bonnet about such and such". I won't use an inappropriate idiom and say that they "have a chip on their shoulder about such and such", because the phrase means that some is habitually pugnacius and argumentative: one simply cannot have a chip on one's shoulder "about" specific things and not others. I feel that choosing and misusing an unfamiliar idomatic form indicates a limited ability to express an opinion, and hence devalues the content. All this is doubly important if one is adversely commenting upon someone's poor command of language. It's even more important if you plan to rip into another contributor, shredding their opinions and intelligence in the full glare of the BB. You, Depsol, may wish to attempt this in the future, and as with boating, it's always a good idea to get expert help first of all.

- I'll try not to leap to conclusions about others whom I do not know and then fly off the handle at them. If I do find myself angry, and in the unlikely event that I do not find a way of expressing myself, I won't end a posting with some abuse and a series of exclamation marks. Like this!!!!!

Now then. Back to that MBY report, from a journo who spent time recently on the boat in question. I did indeed remark adversely some time ago on Mr Priddy's choice of routes and the like, but Jake diffused and smoothed away the issue with warm words regarding this fine chap who raises money for charity and so forth. I backed off. Some months later, here's another article, and my thoughts seem more justified. It remains an alarming situation that any skipper claims not to have bought a chart for fifteen years, describes a wildly unorthodox method of setting alarm calls by using text messages on mobile phones, and snoozes without maintaining a watch on a speeding RIB in the Irish sea. And this skipper plans a RTW trip. That's the issue I questioned. It's specious to personalise the issue as to what I would or would not do. The subject was Priddy, not me. Have you read the article? Do you query the facts reported? You say that he "probably" goes boating a lot, indicating a degree of unfamilarity, although currently you do seem separated by some distance. Exactly how well do you know this chap? Discuss.

DepSol

Visit site
Re: oh dear

Sorry to have upset you so Matt.

Yes freedom of speech is fine however, one does have a right to defend people they know especially when that person is not present to defend themselves. I am sure I could ask Alan for an explanation to his actions if you are so interested, however, his unorthodox way of doing things could be wisdom from experience. Maybe the Journalist in question had not reported all the facts and yes I did read the article though I did think it ws not that well written.

To do what Alan has done already is an achievement in itself, take a look at his web site, and the experience gained from this surely must be to the good.

Why not e-mail him yourself for an explanation, I am sure he will give you the time and reply to your questions.

I said it 'looks' like you have a chip on your shoulder I didn't say you actually had one and the final comment meant that actions speak louder than words.

'I voiced dissent at the wonderful Priddy a while ago and Jake bit my head off' this does say that you have previously disagreed with what Alan has done before and again someone has defended his actions. I am just quoting what you have put and the way it comes across nothing more.

Slap down people who disagree, nay sir Slap Down is so harsh I merely disagree in the same format as that expressed to me. Text can be cruel as it does not give the emotion it was said in and I listen to advice more than I give it. Admittedly you and I have not set off on the right foot but I am sure it was not me who made the first "gentle mockery" when I recommended (covertly) that fantastic product SOLTRON, yes that's SOLTRON everybody not homebrewed snakeoil but SOLTRON (for which I have not made a penny from any recommendations, donations greatly rec'd etc etc). I'll make my apologies for my poor use of English I blame my parents you now half Spanish half Sicilian and born in Guernsey what can I do?

"I did indeed remark adversely some time ago on Mr priddy's choice of routes and so forth, but Jake diffused and smoothed away the issue with warm words regarding this fine chap who raises money for charity and so forth. I backed off" Sorry but how did being a fine chap who raises money for charity etc etc smooth away a question on the route he decided to take?

Not meaning to press further with this debate but I am just responding to your reply and apologise if I upset you in the first instance.

Regards

DepSol the homebrewed snakeoil man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
just kidding

G

Re: fine

Some of your text has read badly in the past, but no matter. Mostly, IMHO, this BB is almost entirely composed of gentle banter. So, my anti-priddy comments aren't nasty direct full-face bombs with which I need to challenge him all unpleasantly. Just a bit of ooer blimey while he's not around. Whatever I say, nothing can take away from his achievements.

A few months ago, I commented at his Round Britain (inc Ireland) trip, which he started and finished in Cardiff. I sed that this seemed somewhat mad, adding lots to the distance: he cd easily have zoomed off from Cardiff waving flags, but not started the trip prpoer till somewhere else, making a shorter trip. Jake gallantly leaped to his defence, cited his charity work, and altho as you say it does not justify his route, I simply said "nuf said" and left it at that -the postings seem to have gorn now. I imagine that some of his snoozing, remarks regarding charts must be either puzzling, alarming, journalistic licence, priddy taking the mickey out of journos or something...

...and started by a gentle dig at priddy from Colin, (who may be able to show Priddy a thing or two to many including Priddy about preparation) that's all I wanted to discuss - merely as a boating issue, not as an unpatriotic snidey swipe. Course, if he makes it rtw in record time with a 99quid handheld and nice comfy pillow -who cares? But it's a bit weird. One might have thought him more likely to have loads of special gear and double-security everything, rigourous watches and sleeping regimes - or at least some reference to them. There's lots more in there- the writer refers to wandering to the back of the boat to take a leak, makes no reference to P having a bit strict a regime. Was he clipped on? Are there jackstays? Won't they be clipped on a lot overnight? Shouldn't everyone be clipped on all the time during shakedowns to ensure an automatic no-quibble regime, and to make sure it all works and moving about the boat is ok? And so on.

anyway, spect more news soon in the mags and mebbe on the telly if he's off on Easter Sunday.

Apologies. And much better to see you happily referring to the snake oil, er Soltron. ;-)

DepSol

Visit site
Re: fine

Forgot to mention he is sponsored by Raytheon or is the company now called Raymarine so I think that has something to do with the all singing and dancing electronics in the cockpit.

G

Re: Raymarine

I saw that. I wonder if the sponsorship gives him a wad of cash to buy fuel, or does he just get the kit and that's that?