Pressure washers

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Was every yachtie given a pressure washer for Xmas? Have Temu been giving one away free?

The sound of the marinas isn't tinkling halyards, seagulls or the singing of drunken sailors - it's pressure washers from dusk to dawn.

Can no-one wield the humble deck brush any more?

On a denizen of this marina discovering our tragic, pressure washer less state - he offered to lend us one! I'm not sure that the delicate balance of dirt, crumbling sealant and duct tape that keeps our 42 year old pride & joy dry could withstand such an onslaught!

Surely teak replacement merchants ready the cash till when they hear the poorly wielded washer start up.

As for the bloke who appears intent on sanding his 29' yacht down to 25' .........!

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
Wouldn't an owner be the first to worry about damaging the boat?

I have two high pressure washers and some accessories for various uses. One is old and light enough to carry, the other is a 42 kg thing on wheels, with a 12m hose. I don't find it difficult to chose the right tool or pressure setting for the task and the one with built-in water heater (warm, not steam) really makes a difference when the feature is turned on.

Noise wise it emits up to 75 dB. Not very different from random orbital sanders, dual action polishers, sanders, angle grinders and whatever else people use. Or people firing up their outboard motors on the hard.

Granted, a bucket of water and a sponge are less noisy.

Mudisox

Visit site
I find that the water is the key. Green growth around the deck is best left to a bucket of free salt water and a brush, sometimes sided by a rotating firm plastic brush in awkward places. However the pressure washer is needed below the waterline and fresh water used as I think that the salt water will not be good for the pump. Maybe it is the salt and sunshine that does the trick.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I'm beginning to think, from our observations here, that there are 3 groups of boat owners with very little overlap,

1. Boat Cleaners - owners of pressure washers, scrubbing tools of every description and every cleaning chemical in the chandlery (and a few that are banned under UN convention). Scared to go sailing 'cos the boat might get dirty - and, anyway, it would interrupt the cleaning schedule.

2. Fixer uppers - arrive at boat at 6am, switch on a range of power tools until midnight. No sailing here 'cos the boat is in pieces & half is back home in the garage anyway.

3. Sailors. Basically drunk pirates who haven't noticed that half the bits on their filthy boat are missing/broken/hanging on by a thread.

Boathook

Visit site
I'm beginning to think, from our observations here, that there are 3 groups of boat owners with very little overlap,

1. Boat Cleaners - owners of pressure washers, scrubbing tools of every description and every cleaning chemical in the chandlery (and a few that are banned under UN convention). Scared to go sailing 'cos the boat might get dirty - and, anyway, it would interrupt the cleaning schedule.

2. Fixer uppers - arrive at boat at 6am, switch on a range of power tools until midnight. No sailing here 'cos the boat is in pieces & half is back home in the garage anyway.

3. Sailors. Basically drunk pirates who haven't noticed that half the bits on their filthy boat are missing/broken/hanging on by a thread.
I alternate between 1 and 3. 1 at the start of the season with few chemicals and then 3 onwards.

flaming

Visit site
The state of the boat when it was launched 2 weeks ago was unbelievable. The green was just everywhere. I've been doing the 1st clean of the season for years, and this was by far the worst. Think it was just down to how wet and mild this winter has been.

An hour with my cheapo pressure washer and all gone. Then finished the clean with a 3 hour beat from the Nab to Cowes in 30kts of breeze... Nothing cleans fibreglass quite like saltwater delivered by waves....

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Condition 3 here. Navigator says she will do more once berthed in strange parts (condition 2.5) , but apart from tidying the deck and hiding rubbish so we look smarter as we approach, she is readily seduced by ancient wine bars where real sailors lurk, fancy wine bars or creperies where they sell nice food also seafood markets or if we are anchored remotely then walks along the cliff and archeology or botany (RHS student and Orchard keeper).

I have deferred launching for the first time in 39 years to enable works to be completed, having been lead astray by Laminar Flows remodelling idea, but only deferred by a fortnight, and will launch without antifoul if needed.

So an aggregate 2.9 perhaps

Last edited: