Prepare for winter

keplero

Visit site
Boat out for the winter, engine cooled by row water. Is it better drain the water from the cooling system or run the engine with antifreeze and leave it inside?
I read both solutions of the same problem.
Thanks

scottie

Visit site
IF YOU DRAIN WATER OFF MAKE SURE IT IS ALL OUT AS IF THE DRAIN PLUGS GET BLOCKED THE WATER STAYS IN AND REALLY SHOULD RUN INHIBITER /ANTI CORROSSION THROUGH IT FIRST
CURRENT WISDOM IS TO USE ANTIFREEZE COS IT DOES WHAT IT SAYS ON THE TIN!

david_bagshaw

Visit site
when we had a raw water cooled engine (farryman connected to Zeise generator) I use to run the engine with antifreeze & then drain it, so got the benefit of protection where there were puddles, without corrosion where the air got at the water, without too much searching for leaks that antifreeze is inclined to do in a full system......

no doubt somebody will say you shouldnt have done that, but it worked fine for the 9 years we had the set.

David
www.yachtman.co.uk

p.s
Thinking about it we also did the same when we had a Stuart Turner R3m Installed in our launch and Stuart R2y Gernerator set , both of which were raw cooled which we had for 20 years.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by david_bagshaw on Tue Nov 20 13:38:21 2001 (server time).</FONT></P>

LORDNELSON

Visit site
For the last ten years (southern England) I have mixed anti-freeze with the coolant and run the engine on this for several minutes and then drained the engine. This way I understand one inhibits corrosion and if liquid is left in the engine it is a mixture of anti freeze and water and thus will tend to resist freezing and subsequent damage

david_bagshaw

Visit site
As I said above

without too much searching for leaks that antifreeze is inclined to do in a full system......

afterall raw systems are not designed to run under pressure etc & thus in my opinion (for what it is not worth) have a greater chance of antifreeze creep.

As I said it has worked for me.

David
www.yachtman.co.uk

steffen

Visit site
Beside the corrosion by oxygen when you drain, using the coolant fluid you put in your car system cant be that bad or i would have problems with my car engine long time ago.

charles_reed

Visit site
Raw water cooling

When I was in the UK, I used, on taking the boat out of the water, run fresh water through the system using 4:1 antifreeze solution at the end.

For those who are unaware of raw water systems - the antifreeze all runs out again when the engine is stopped.

All commercial glycol antifreeze contains corrosion inhibitors - these gradually deteriorate and it's advisable to drain and change antifreeze every third year.
If you don't it eats holes in the radiator header/comb interface.

With raw water systems you need to check the top waterways occasionally - they can quite quickly fur up.

You also need to inspect and change the 2/3 sacrifical anodes in the water jacket - one of mine lasts about 3 seasons the other needs changing every 2nd year.