Prepaid mobile data in Turkey

DaveRo

Visit site
Does anyone have any information about data on prepaid SIMs in Turkey? I researched this last year but didn't go there.

If so, please share it here or over on PrePaidGSM.net.

Personally I'm not interested in contacts, but others might be.

DaveRo

Visit site
I've drawn a complete blank here. I can find nothing about data on prepaids on the Turkcell site either in English of Turkish.

http://www.turkcell.com.tr

Last time I looked into this there I emailed Turkcell and got a useful reply about data packages on 'Hazir Kart'. This time I got this:

Prepaid or/and postpaid starter sets sale prices can be changeable according to over-the-corner market economy.
You can subscribe by purchasing prepaid or postpaid starter sets from thousands of outlets with Turkcell logo, and perform your subscription transactions at TurkcellExtras or Turkcell Subscriber Centers.

In order to registry your phone, you could apply our offices (Turkcell Extras or Turkcell Subscribers Center) in 30 days after coming Turkey.

Does anyone know what 'Turkcell Extras' and 'Turkcell Subscribers Centers' are? Is there likely to be one in Datça or Bozburun or only in Marmaris?

mikehibb

Visit site
I use prepaid vodafone in Turkey. Some of my comments are on your link above.
Vodafone prepaid is 1gig at a time, valid for one month (can be topped up). Justvfound out this week that they also have one week unlimited at 20 TL you can top this up weekly too
We have a turkish dongle, but this week we registered my mifi. 10 TL to register, but have been running 3 devices through it, it will do up to 5.

tonybannister

Visit site
We have 2 Turkcell phones and a Turkcell dongle. Need to take your passport to buy these. They are pay-as-you-go the phones for various amounts the dongle is 39 TL for 4GB. Turkcell shops are widely available. I believe you can register your UK phone now on arrival in Turkey within 30 days. But at the price of the cheapest Nokia we have 2 x UK phones and sims and the same for Turkish.

xtiffer

Visit site
Easiest way round this is to buy a cheap Turkish phone.
Think about the time you have wasted and what your working hourly rate is.
Bite the bullet and then smile:)
Cheers,
Chris

DaveRo

Visit site
I think I have this sorted out now. See update on the PPGSM site.

Cheap phones are fine for talking and texts but it would be ludicrously expensive to get one with the data facilities I want. Fortunately I no longer worry about justifying my hourly rate as I used to :)

Last edited:

basba

Visit site
I tried to buy a Turkcell prepaid card:
http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/europe/5238-turkey-report-2.html#post36749

Can anybody clarify the process of phone registration?

turkcell offices (mine has done in bodrum but also marmaris) take your phone datas and your passport (just to get a copy), within 2 working days you shall be able to use your phone with turkish prepaid sims. I think this is the easiest way if you have a limited budget, because in turkey mobile phones like every other importation product cost 20-30% more. So if you have time wait for this registration, and use your own phone, and save some money
for internet this year we bought also a turkcell modem device called Vinn (we paid less than 50 euros) , it's really fantastic for the velocity, we pay for 4 gb usage per month 39 liras, less than 20 euros, and it works everywhere...

DaveRo

Visit site
I have it working fine now. I posted a summary of my experience:
http://yachtvigdis.wordpress.com/mobile-internet-access-in-turkey/

As it says, the Turkcell webpage listing all the data packages has moved though. Can anyone find it?

Turkcell is everywhere. But we met friends here in Kekova who have a good deal with Vodafone and reported good coverage - I don't remember the details.

And until recently I've also been using my Greek phones - which are cheaper for voice and texts to and from from the UK.

DaveRo

Visit site
I have updated my page on Turkcell prepaid internet access:
http://yachtvigdis.wordpress.com/mobile-internet-access-in-turkey/

It now includes details of SIM expiry (9 months) and roaming.

If anyone can find the page on the Turkcell website with the various packages and prices (EKO etc) please let me know and I'll update it.

I've had SIMs from many countries - France, Spain, Italy, Greece - but Turkcell takes the biscuit as far as spam SMSes go. While I was in Turkey I got roughly one a day. Within 5 minutes of getting roaming working in the UK - so I could top it up - I had three!

But packet data access while I was in Turkey was excellent.

david65

Visit site
Registering a prepaid SIM card in Turkey is not so difficult as thought widely. You should give a copy of your passport, sign some papers and the card will be active in only one or two days.
However, the thing is you should pay a tax of 115 Turkish Liras to the government, otherwise your card will be blocked in 5-7 days. A 1 GB data package will cost approximately 20 TL other than the registering fees of apprx. 50 TL.
I can also suggest to look at the mifi rental company Alldaywifi.com, which offers unlimited internet for 10 devices at the same time. I think they are operating for the whole Turkey. Here is the Tripadvisor comments: TripAdvisor

Other threads that may be of interest