Premier Marinas - Why haven't they furloughed staff?

Baroudeur

Visit site
I disagree, they were not quick of the mark to close, and its open to question if it was voluntarily or not.

They closed before the lockdown was announced iirc. And, in some ways are no different to a business operating a car park where you can rent permanent spaces - as a business that does not offer any lesiure services, voluntary or not is not the issue. As for being told to shut, again, no - not necessarily if they chose to question it, as it may have been an implementation of the so-called moral stance the police initially tried to implement rather than the letter of the law - in the same way that 1 hour of exercise per day is policed in some places but it's not actually the law. Sailing may have been listed as a prohibited activity, but I haven't seen anyone insisting that they should be able to sail - I certainly haven't. I would however like to get on with some boat maintenance!

the fact is you cant go to the boat anyway at the moment so what difference does it make. youd get know where in a legal claim I suspect.

Prior to closing, they had already very effectively isolated their staff from customers. In addition there are liveaboards there all the time in Brighton. I live 5 minutes away. The liveaboards leave the marina as needed, walk around the marina as needed, work on their boats as needed, so why does it appear differently to you in reverse?

Also, to be very clear I have not mentioned anything about legal claims, and nor do I anticipate ever wanting to. I do not agree with Premier's stance - but as I've made clear a lot of times, as far as Brighton is concerned they've marked their card with me, so to speak. They have let me down more often than I care to list, and have behaved disingenuously towards me and other tenants on many many occasions (and their staff too, actually). But I don't feel this is a legal issue at all. Not sure where you got that from Steveeasy. It's my opinion based on experience, nothing more. And, I can only speak as far as Premier Brighton is concerned and they are not, as far as I'm aware, subject to any port authority mandate - the rest of their venues genuinely sound much better.

steveeasy

Visit site
Personally I find it quite frustrating that their are those that liveaboard boats in marinas and can continue to work on their boats while others cant. but at present they are allowed to continue living aboard if they do not have a main residence. its in the guidance. There is good reason behind this, where would they go and by moving they could spread the virus. its the same in caravan parks and hotels.

My reference to any potential legal claim merely highlights my view the claim would be unsuccessful. my reasoning behind this is that 1, the boat is still on site. 2 there is good reason for them to close, being told/advised too. and 3 you cant even go there under the present instructions. restrictions.
Steveeasy

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
On the third point, I read the other day that not being able to access something due to travel restrictions (or the like) would qualify for a refund under the CMA guidelines

Donal2020

Visit site
This is an interesting article. My position is that the Marina I keep my boat in works on a monthly, quarterly or annual licence basis. They have no provision to keep boats ashore so if work needs to be done, I have to move to (and pay) another boatyard. The annual licence starts on the 1st April and my boat has been in a local boatyard since the end of January. I expected to put her back in the water, and therefore back at the marina, in early April. In early march I signed the 2020/2021 licence application for another year as intended to have the boat back sometime in April. Full berthing charges are still being charged by the marina since they closed access in late March. If my boat was safely tucked away at the marina I would perfectly accept charges would carry on applying, even though the marina cannot fully comply with its own obligations under their terms of the licence. As my boat is not there, I do feel a little aggrieved that they are not providing some discount. I guess unless they have to by law, they won't even if some marinas are being more considerate.
Will be interesting to see if they respond to my request for a discount on the basis of my boat not actually being at the marina.. they are clearly taking my request very seriously as they have now been considering it without a response for 4 weeks... unless the invoice received on 1st May was confirmation of their position!