Premier Gosport Marina Silting: 0.9m below CD

SolentBlue

Visit site
Having just spent 1h30 sat around in Premier Gosport Marina I found the hard way that there is only 0.9m below CD in the channel behind the floating wavebreak between H and F. So with the Portsmouth low today of 0.6m, boats with draft over 1.5m couldn't enter. So much for it being an "all access" marina. Clearly the spring dredging didn't help in the fairway, which I find strange because the bigger yachts need to pass there to get to D poontoon.

So watch out if you visit -- and don't come near low water.

Pete7

Visit site
I thought QHM found some money and had the main Haslar Channel dredged a couple of years ago. Strange that the marina is silting up. Did the marina also have a dredge recently?

Visit my harbour has the low water as 0.39m so even worse. Tomorrow is 0.25m at 1833 hrs, that will make it interesting for folk coming into the harbour tomorrow afternoon on their way home.

I back on to Haslar Creek so when I popped down to the garden shed at lunchtime I did think ooh that's a big tide, another couple of feet and I would be looking for sand bags.

Pete

Last edited:

richardbrennan

Visit site
Some of the berths in East Cowes also appear to be silting up if yesterday was anything to go by. The chap that runs the Sally Taxi said it was a problem generally in the Medina caused by the new breakwater which everyone wishes had never been built!

TeamSpirit

Visit site
Doesn't help with current experience but understand that Premier have just bought their very own dredger to deal with the difficulties their berth holders have experienced in Brighton, Gossy and others. Not sure if operational yet but no doubt will assist in future.

Daedelus

Visit site
When I periodically whinge at Premier about Gosport (I pay for an all tide berth not one where I run aground) they tell me they will dredge again in November.

However, they also say that Haslar itself is as bad or worse. (Whilst Mandy Rice-Davies comment springs to mind - I wonder if this is indeed the case. Anyone from Haslar actually know?

richardbrennan

Visit site
Good luck; I was on N9 and they promised they would dredge it three years in a row and never did or have they since I left. To add insult to injury, they did dredged out the southern end of the marina to accommodate the Clipper Yachts, so their priorities were clear. I moved to Haslar and have had no problems for the past three years but have recently started just touching on very low tides. They are aware of this and tell me plans for dredging are in hand, it's certainly not a topic that berth holders are talking about.

Seven Spades

Visit site
Some of the berths in East Cowes also appear to be silting up if yesterday was anything to go by. The chap that runs the Sally Taxi said it was a problem generally in the Medina caused by the new breakwater which everyone wishes had never been built!

I can't understand this. They have openly aknowledged that silting is now a problem, but have still confirmed that the barrier is going to be made permanent. I can only believe that there is too much money involved with the moorings/marina they hope to create as a result. It seem that other river users are going to be paying for that.