prelude bilge keels

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
And not a word about the designer Ian Proctor, he knew a thing or two about small boats Wayfarer etc ......

Indeed! Over 65,000 boats to his designs, which include - Adventuress, Anderson 22 (only joking!), Beaufort, Blue Peter, Bosun, Gull, Kestrel, Marlin. Merlin Rocket, Eclipse, National 18, Nimrod, Osprey, Pirate, Prelude, Seagull, Seamew, SigneT, Tempest, Topper, Wanderer, Wayfarer.

johnphilip

Visit site
What is the idea of keels shaped like this and are they effective in practice?

View attachment 30525
If it's noisy

I recount this tale from a thread on whether the turn of the tide wakens sleeping yachtsmen.
"The anchor chain will normally wake me as it realigns to the new tide but I don't claim an inbuilt tide table.
First boat, 19' Prelude on the Severn estuary, woken middle of the night, louder gurgling than seemed right....
Investigation, the boat was broadside to the new tide.
Explanation, Polypropylene anchor warp which came with the boat floated and as the boat swung and neatly hooked around the back of the bilge keels.
Getting out of that has stayed in my mind for a long time."

We actually enjoyed our Prelude for about nine years sailing firstly on the Severn and later on the East coast.
We had looked at things such as an Anderson 22 and were so glad we never owned one.
The only vices with the Prelude were a failed wheel bearing on the trailer and on going unreliable outboards from Yam and Johnson. This cured by a Mariner 4.
One weakness that did take a mod to improve was breaking the dinghy style lifting rudder blade.
She was embarassingly fast compared to bilge keelers of her size and era. The cut away keels were really effective and efficient.

Lakesailor

Visit site
We actually enjoyed our Prelude for about nine years sailing firstly on the Severn and later on the East coast.
We had looked at things such as an Anderson 22 and were so sad we never owned one.

There. I am on Rota Watch for Seajet today, so I have corrected your obvious error.

johnphilip

Visit site
There. I am on Rota Watch for Seajet today, so I have corrected your obvious error.

Yes I suppose you are right, it must be that we were sad rather than glad not to have bought an Anderson 22. How could I have made such a tactless mistake on this hallowed Seajet stage!