Powerboat II / ICC

BarryD

Visit site
With a screech from the fenders or maybe from the instructor as he dived for cover I finished the Powerboat II course yesterday. Loads of fun in the Solent with S turns, U turns, crash stops and MOB practice. Then we went up the eustary to Emsworth and practiced holding off and landing a the visitors moorings there a bit of ferry gliding and reverse slalom plus picking up mooring buoys. Almost washed it out at the start when we couldn't lower the leg due to a blown fuse.

Finally however about 15:00 having got bored throwing my fenders overboard and making me recover them the instructor said get it through Chi lock and moor up on your own and that will be enough.

The dreaded lock - I'm three for four on cacking this lock up. But a nice run in the apporach at 6kts, then slowing right down to a gentle drift as we went through the gates and we stopped right where we wanted. Then the mooring was even easier - hey I'm getting the hang of this (maybe, possibly).

My paperwork should be in the post, I can't wait to go out again...

And for all those who say the Powerboat II course is easy and you can't fail it - wheres your certificate then? Ha. No really - thanks to everyone whose offered helpful comments whilst I been trying to do this. Next to complete is my day skipper theory...

Cheers all.

Barry D.

IMHO & FWIW, NWGOI.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Glad to hear both you and the examiner made it safely through the ordeal. Barry.
So far I've only had the confidence to inflict Day Skipper theory on to an unsuspecting teacher and he's still in recovery. Wouldn't want to cause futher danger by taking teachers out to sea for practical tests with real water.

Haydn

longjohnsilver

Visit site
No you only do that to other forum members!!

My course of psychiatric treatment is due to finish just in time for the start of the boating season! ;-))

coliholic

Visit site
FINISH??

You mean these disjointed ramblings are AFTER treatment? Don't tell us you're treatment was private. It must have been one of those diastrous NHS hospitals that poor people go to. Surely not rich boat owners type private treatment, 'cos then we'd be really worried.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Not really able to discuss payment options as I seem to spend rather a lot of my time in a locked padded room, and then when they let me out I am forced to wear a rather restrictive over jacket, makes writing extremely difficult. Also all bank accounts frozen, sadly this doesn't seem to mean overdrafts are repaid!!

BarryH

Visit site
Re: Re Congrats but....

Must say, tend to agree with jfm. Experience counts loads more than the theory bit. When I done the day skip theory, the instructor made a big thing about the tides, rightly so i hear you say, well yes in a slowish yacht. But in a faster power boat, the COG, SOG etc is much neare to what you actually do and not effected as much as a yacht. Its easy to sort out the chart work etc in a warm classroom on a steady table. In reality you tend to use a "shorthand" method under way.

Best way IMHO, just get out there and use the boat, none of use stop learning!!