Power & Sail

G

Sailing in the Solent, downwind, motor boat passes, wash, near gybe, swearing ....
Then a thought occurs, does the other "driver" have any idea of my problem, do I know anything about his limititations? Answer no!
Idea, is there scope for swopping of experiance either at an idervidual or club level?
Just an idea.

Dave_Snelson

www.makeyourowngarments.com
What a great idea, it displays tolerance and safety. I run a 100HP Suzuki "smokie" on a Shakespear but I always give way, and plenty of room, to sail. I would reckon that yacht clubs (I am a member of Madoc Yacht Club, Porthmadog) could run, or organise the two day courses that are relevent for day skipper and powerboat and then get people to swap skills! Even a basic day out on the water in each others craft as part of a summer fun day would be good.

I have been running powered craft for 27 years and it grieves me to admit that I still see more seafaring ignorance in power than in sail and improving on this image by teaching useful skills is something I would like to see more of.

G

Re: Power & Sail, Kim, AB etc?

Excellent idea. But to get going, it would be helped by a bit more positive backing from the boat mags, currently fuelling the silly sail-v power rants. I expect they ram each other in the car parks, or pinch each others milk from the fridge.

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com

Always wanted to do a joint meet and had started to tease plans to do so with YM and MBM a little while back, but the summer got busy and so it went the way of all good ideas.

Certainly such a scheme would have my backing and, once I discover who has nicked my milk, I'll spread the work amongst the dark corners here in the tower to get a response.

Meantime, further ideas welcome, particularly regarding venue(s) and so on. Favour the completely informal approach myself...

jfm

Visit site

Like the idea. I'm a 50 50 motor/sail person (of which there must be many lurking, surely??) so would have to toss a coin to decide which camp. I'll see what the weather's like

JFM

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Rubish Idea!!

You cant do that!!
It would rubbish all the crack and banter thats been going on here for years.
No good for Kim either cos he'd loose his job and the mag would close because we'd all be reading the same mag, all friendly like.
The buggers ud be inviting them selves round for tea when they realised that we had central heating!!
We'd have to listen all night about the 24 hour sea crossing just to go round the block. With little jibes about. "How do you stand all that noise." And tales about over comming an enormous wash in 1985.

But Ok if youve got to tell them sumat.
Just tell the yachties that us motorboaties cant slow down cos they havent invented brakes for boats yet!! Stearing at high speed is a no no too, cos the rudder would just rip it self off if we tried.
So for safety please could they just keep out of the way.
Ther you are all friendly like!!

Haydn

markc

Visit site
Re: Too many sail boats

If there wern't so many sailboats in the Solent, then we would have more room to get out of your way!!! At the weekend I might as well have been on a sailboat for all the 'tacking I was doing!!!

M

Dave_Snelson

www.makeyourowngarments.com

Well here's the first idea (no, don't give me a salvo just yet). At Madoc Yacnt Club (North Wales) we are always looking for ideas for the August two day regatta (and at other times aswell). Clearly, location may be an issue here but I won't know that until more people post on this thread.

Being a watersportsman who hates cold water, I would prefer summer, or shall I just go and buy the dry-suit I've always wanted anyway!!

miket

Visit site
Not wishing to decry an excellent thought, I would suggest that the problems are not with those who already belong to clubs, especially mixed sail/ power clubs, but with the many (?majority) who do not belong to clubs.

As a relative newcomer to the Solent, and one who trys to be curteous to other sail and power boaters, I have found it difficult on a busy weekend to give the space I would wish when passing a sailing boat, simply through the sheer number of boats in the immediate vicinity. There have been occasions when I have reduced speed to tickover, if the sailing boat was particularly small, but I must confess that has not been very often.

Perhaps a series of articles in the sailing and motor boating press, making one aware of the other's particular problems, and the results of doing the wrong thing? At least there is more chance of getting to the non-club boaters.

duncan

Visit site

Kim I expect that you are only going to get this on out of season - and will probably get more considerate people (interested) at that time.
More of the issues are created from igrorance than not; but equally many are from pretty basic human traits!

On a personal note I have to admit to giving significantly more attention to potentially speedy craft crossing from my starboard quarter than anything to port when it gets busy in the middle of the solent ; and coming back off the plane means you really do have to have eyes in the back of your head at times!

Other threads that may be of interest