Power Management

i_sail

Visit site
If living aboard, to what extent do you use the 12v power onboard, versus using 240v plug in appliances, when marina based on a day to day basis??

For example should you use the 12v fan driven diesel powered central heating or should you plug in an electric heater? Should you use the 12v lights on the boat or should you use 240v lights? Should you use the 12v radio onboard or plug in a separate stereo?

Also do most liveaboards have a dehumidifier on board permanaently switched on, and if so, does anybody recommend a particular brand?

My main concern is long term abuse to the batteries, and I'd appreciate anyone's advice!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

MedMan

teall.name
If living aboard, to what extent do you use the 12v power onboard, versus using 240v plug in appliances, when marina based on a day to day basis??

When you are marina based it makes sense to use shore power as in most countries, other than the UK, electricity is either included in the price of the berth or it is metered and charged at a sensible price.

For example should you use the 12v fan driven diesel powered central heating or should you plug in an electric heater?

We always use an electric fan heater when marina based, partly because the elctricity is already paid for (see above) and partly because it is much quieter.

Should you use the 12v lights on the boat or should you use 240v lights? Should you use the 12v radio onboard or plug in a separate stereo?

You will need a proper switch mode battery charger so there is little point having 240v lights or a 240v stereo. Run your charger and use all your 12v equipment.

Also do most liveaboards have a dehumidifier on board permanaently switched on, and if so, does anybody recommend a particular brand?

We don't, so I can't help on that one, but no doubt someone will

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/yachtretreat/>http://www.geocities.com/yachtretreat/</A>

summerwind

Visit site
I use electric fan heaters in the marina for two reasons. Firstly, because they give a dry heat, hence no need for de-humidifier. Secondly, because I've paid for electricity on an annual basis so no matter how much I use, price is the same.

For the same reason I use 204v lighting and 240v entertainment systems. I do run the 12v lights and turn on other electonics on a regular basis so as to work the batteries as well as warm up the kit, exclude damp and make sure everthing continues to be working. (I am convinced that the reason so many people have trouble with the kit on their boat is because it isn't used much.)

<hr width=100% size=1>

temptress

gbr195t.com
We use 12v where ever we can and avoid 240v items. I fitted a large battery charger and managment system which I keep conneted to the shore power.

I consider my batteries to be a 'consumable' item. That is they get worn out and need replcaing every 5 or 6 years if living aboard no matter what you do.

I use the 12 gasoil powered heating in ALL cases. This heats the boat with dry warm air and keeps the lockers dry as well.

as for a dehumidifier - i do not use one. I've lived on board in Norway, UK and the MED and found that as long as i keep air flowing through the boat things stay dry and i do need suffer from too much condensation. The problem wiht a de-humidfier is that you need to stop breathing, restrict ventilation, Stop cooking and washing and generally seal the boat for them to be effective- as you are living onboard this is not usually possable.

The key is to provide a dry heat - either from your 12v system (which is cheap enough with Red fuel) or use your 240 fan heater. the latter uses a lot of current.

I'm sure your are aware that the law has changed in the UK over provision of power in MArinas. The marina company can only charge you for power consumed at the same rate which they pay for it! They can also charge you a fixed fee for the provision of the cabling to the pontoon but this must be deemed to be 'reasonable'. any marina provider not doing this NOW is breaking the law.

<hr width=100% size=1>Temptress of Down
Southsea Marina
Hants
UK

i_sail

Visit site
Thanks all for your help. This info is of great interest. Its the sort of insight you cant get from books, magazines, etc!! If anyone sees me at Brighton in couple of weeks pop on board for a glass of vino!

<hr width=100% size=1>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Batteries much prefer to working hard than stopped. (If thats the right word)

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue>No one can force me to come here.<font color=red> I'm a volunteer!!.<font color=blue>

Haydn

ccscott49

Visit site
I use mains from the marina or inverter for my m,ains stuff, TV, Freezer, I use a three stage battery charger and my 24volt lights all the time. I never use 240 volt lights. Batteries last about five years. I use fan heaters in winter on the marina, I'm paying a flat rate for power. Even iof I wasn't I would still use fan heaters. I've never had anything to do with de-humidifiers nor does any other liveaboard I know. I live aboard in the meddy.

<hr width=100% size=1>