Pound v Dollar

mike22

Visit site
Over the last year the pound has risen from a 1.38 rate to presently 1.63. In the last few weeks the pound has been strengthening against the dollar at a steady rate. That's about an 18 % change in the value so far.

A 99,000 USD Crealock 34 which was approx. 72,000 Pounds is now approx. 61,000 Pounds, that's assuming a lump sum cash transfer in order to take advantage of the commercial exchange rates.

I'm looking at buying in the States and possibly retaining the vessel there or more likely in the Caribbean. It would not be my intention to return to the UK or Europe.

I've never bought a boat in the US and I'm aware that the survey/purchase process differs from our process nevertheless it looks an attractive proposition based on the exchange rates alone. However are there potential issues out there? I'm British, sailing an American flagged vessel (will they allow that?) in the Caribbean.
I hope not but if there are any issues there must be solutions? I'd appreciate any advice or any source of information that could guide me.

Thanks,
Mike
Stingoe - there are a number of Beneteau 390 s in the States. I'm sure many of them crossed the Atlantic under sail.

jimboaw

Visit site
Don't hang about! Loads of bargains out there.I bought my boat here in the US 5 yrs ago when the exchange rate was 1.65. Used a Brit surveyor in Fort Lauderdale. Got a regular "bill of sale" Used an agent to handle the paperwork.The seller ( S. African) paid 2% import duty. I put her on the SSR and am now going through the motions for part 1. Cruising permit for 1 yr US waters no problem. Customs lady said "renew it as many times as you like" Didn't bother after the second time! Never been questioned about Red Duster. Non US citizens cannot legally fly the Stars and Bars anyway. went "Down Island" for a year and a half cruise. No problems anywhere exept when I couldn't be bothered to go ashore to get a clearance to leave Martinique and turned up in St Lucia without one.! Had to pretend it was lost and eat humble pie. Got a dressing down but no real hastle. If I can be of any help don't hesitate to ask. Jim

kidnapped

Visit site
I have also been noting this good news .... looking forward to Opal reducing prices of Island Packets .... and J boats would also look more attractive.