'Pots' and fishing nets

soaringalbatross

Visit site
\'Pots\' and fishing nets

My home sailing grounds are between the Goodwin sands and the East Kent shoreline between Ramsgate and Dover. There are a dwindling amount of local fishermen eaking a living from the sea. As a result, whatever their speciality, either crabs, lobsters or fish they use the tools of their trade; pots and nets. There has been a lot of discussion, usually bad press about the way they mark their tools and to be honest until recently I have not been a great fan of theirs. But, this weekend I went to Calais and had to battle the pots and nets in the Ramsgate Channel which runs off shore between Ramsgate and Deal. The pots are marked with items from, ballcocks to significant brightly coloured buoys. I'd managed to miss all the pots, (my engine was still running and my prop wasn't fouled) when I was approached by a fishing boat. He hailed me and chatted on the VHF. He advised me that he had just laid some nets and they were marked with some very visible flags and radar reflectors. He told me he had laid three sets of nets, the ends of which were marked with the flags. I could see them. He then asked me to follow him to clear the nets. I did. When we were pastthe nets he thanked me for my co-operation and wished me well. I replied "no, my thanks to you for advising me of the danger and guiding me past your nets"

The point to this story.... We (us baoting fraternity) all use the sea for pleasure or livelyhood. It is very refreshing and good for relations when we communicate peacfully our intentions and the dangers increasing the harmony between pleasure and livleyhood. I raise my glass to the fishermen who, above and beyond the call of duty, informed and guided me of and around the dangers. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

duncan

Visit site
Re: \'Pots\' and fishing nets

[ QUOTE ]
I raise my glass to the fishermen who, above and beyond the call of duty, informed and guided me of and around the dangers.

[/ QUOTE ]

not putting down your experience but he has to do this with surface drift nets - he can't leave them unattended

soaringalbatross

Visit site

I believe they are not surface drift nets as I've been up and down the channel before and not seen a fishing boat. I nearly fouled one a while ago when I started sailing the area and there were no boats in sight. They are well marked but as a novice at the time I didn't understand the marking system. I do now. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

duncan

Visit site

interesting

if you would have fouled the actual net, esp set across a navigation channel, then that is very very different from the (inevitable) hazard represented by markers and their associated bits.