Post deleted by danfoley

jimi

Visit site
But ..

Aye, but yours is a genuine work of art, a real classic. Ken's is just an old bit of fibreglass.

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
I refuse to answer that question on the grounds...

that at least two of my best friends work for classification societies, but I think it is a bit of both, and indeed the retention of broad categories is due to competitive pressures in the case of the RCD as well.

Aircraft are subject to government regulation only (thank Heaven for that, one might add!) but there are signs of a creeping levelling down of standards there as well - it is not that rare for some UK based private aircraft to be FAA certified because their standards are less demanding/more reasonable (take your pick) than those of the CAA.

Robin

Visit site
Re: Was I thinking of a Twister?

Rival 41 sank in Biscay storm some years back, big Swan had big problems last year in Biscay, Ted Heath's Morning Cloud went down in the Channel. Also didn't Creightons (the ex Whitbread Maxi) have a knockdown too. I bet all of these would be considered OK by any RCD rule or MAIB report. By contrast, Shane Acton's 'Shrimpy' was a bilge keel Caprice in marine ply but went round the world, PBO ran a series about a Bilge keel Centaur doing a solo transat circuit. I wonder what the MAIB/RCD et al would make of them.

We had a Laurent Giles Westerly 33 Ketch for 14 years that I would go anywhere in but swapped her for a Doug Peterson designed Jeanneau Sun Legende 41 (1988 vintage) that I would also be very happy to take off in. I wouldn't be happy doing it in a Caprice, or Centaur but it can obviously be done, I wouldn't be happy in a Colin Archer either but different reasons, all comes down to personal choice. Love Twisters and indeed most Holman & Pye designs though.

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
86ft Alden schooner

an absolutely magnificent big classic yacht, in wonderful condition, kept that way by a large crew, was towed into Valetta by a salvage tug in the late 1970's; I know because I acted for her owners in the salvage claim (and got JDS along as an expert witness, because of his time as skipper of Hoshi!)

Proximate cause of mishap - stainless shackle on outboard end of main topping lift had not been moused and unscrewed itself. Which meant the mainsail could not be reefed.....and so on.

Mishaps can happen to any boat - and don't most of us know it!