Weather permitting, here is what we are planning

Thursday/Friday night/Saturday day - East coast to Oostende
Sunday - in Oostende for sea festival
Monday - Oostende via Flushing into the Walcheren canal to Middelburg
Tuesday - day in Middelburg
Wednesday - Middleburg through VersMeer/Westerschelde to Zierkzee
Thursday - day in Zierkzee
Friday - out through Roompotsluis to home ports

The idea here is that there is plenty of chance to cut an early departure either out through Roompotsluis, or back via Flushing if the weather looks dodgy...

All welcome..... just post in this forum if you are interested

FullCircle

Visit site
Will have to bail out on Monday due to Crew work commitments, so back in Burnham for Tuesday afternoon/evening....

FullCircle

Visit site
Its not Lynn.. She is an NHS slave with about 10 or 11 weeks to dispose of. Nope, its our guest crew that have the problem......

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
[ QUOTE ]
Its not Lynn.. She is an NHS slave with about 10 or 11 weeks to dispose of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jealousy is such a pointless emotion (I have only 9 wks + 3 days this year BTW)

Oen

Visit site
May I ask, are most folk planning to follow the route proposed? Sounds good to us...

Oen

Visit site
ps I realise that most forumites here already know each other and may be viewing me as a bit of a 'Johnny come lately'...

Might I explain that I would prefer to be viewed as someone who has recently bought a new boat, is keeping it on the Essex coast, and hoping to join in the fun?

By the way, no Belgian lager shortage on my yot!

FullCircle

Visit site
We are having to come back on the Monday, one of our crew has work commitments.
We will be leaving from the anchorage just inside the River Roach at about 1 hr before HW on the Friday.

FullCircle

Visit site
Actually we have all only just met each other, so no, we dont think like that at all. Just that this is the second one that is through theis forum, and about the umpteenth for certain others...... welcome, come in and sit down. Did you bring any beer with you? Cheers, just the one for me.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Second that Oen..... several of us have met, but mostly only briefly, and generally, they're a pretty friendly bunch.... there are however, several attendees that I personally haven't met, and look forward to making acquaintance with, so you are hardly a 'Johnny come lately'!

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
[ QUOTE ]
May I ask, are most folk planning to follow the route proposed? Sounds good to us...

[/ QUOTE ]Don't know for sure, but there are certainly at least 3 boats definitely, and another 4 or so that have said they will, but not confirmed....
The idea is to have a relaxed cruise, not a mad dash from one port to another....

Oen

Visit site
Re: Clearing height

Thanks all for the responses... I had a trawl through the route, and it sounds ideal - just the right amount of sailing (and motoring!), with plenty of time to see places, most of which I haven't been to before.

My air draft is about 18.5, and I'm stuck in the office without almanacs until the weekend... I noted that most of what we're doing follows the 'tall yacht routes' in a couple of cruising guides, but does anyone have a handy note of the clearance through the lock, please?

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com

Clearing height out of the Roompot is 18.4m.

Spoke to the lock master (phone number can be found in Reed's) when we brought Guapa home - he recommends you add at least 50cm to your mast clearing height to take into account antennas and what not.

Oen

Visit site

Thanks very much for the info...

18.5 is not a precise measurement - it includes a 1.5m allowance for the VHF, for example, which is probably closer to 1m. Methinks I'll have to find a way of measuring the height more accurately...

FullCircle

Visit site

Take a long piece of string. Attach to Main halyard and pull to top of mast. Take string to base of mast. Let it all down and measure the string. Add height of coachroof and topsides. Add a bit for Antennae. Robert is your relative.

Oen

Visit site

Indeed that is the classic method, but my problem is that with the size of boat, curvy coachroof, and decent-sized VHF antenna, to get a truly accurate idea (+/- 50mm say) will be a little more complex than that. Probably involving a digi photo and some trig (the sort of thing I sometimes do at work, but try not to occupy my spare time with!). A trip out in the inflatable next weekend should bag the photo...

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com

And there I was, thinking it WASN'T rocket science! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

FullCircle

Visit site

Alright, take the string down to a point on the pontoon. Then you will get a very accurate answer by trig.In fact, if you run it straight down the forestay, you can use the J.
Dont forget to load the boat with beer/wine/food/water/crew so that the waterline is accurate to 50mm in the loaded condition.