Portugal/SW Spain - Leave Boat?

Chuteman

Visit site
This is a sister thread to the one I started about "Parking" a sailboat
for a couple of weeks in NW Spain/Portugal.
There could be a chance (with the weather's cooperation;)) that I could make
more progress than initially planned - so I want to get opinions & even better
experiences of leaving a boat further down the Portugal coast, SW Spain,
Gibraltar or just inside the Med.

Will be in La Coruna shortly.........will look there (plus the other places suggested in the other thread) but if the weather looks ok
might start moving down the coast.

Thanks in advance:cool:

capnsensible

Visit site
I like the area around Cadiz. Rota is a great little town, functional marina and well priced.

Flights from Jerez to UK.

For Gib at this time of year, essential to book but the new marina across at La Linea has loadsa space and is safe and well run.

Hope this helps!

CS

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
Portugal

We left our boat in Lisbon for a month, which was great. A lovely city with good flights to and fro.

Head up the river under the huge bridge and take the marina on the left (name escapes me). It was about 800 euros for a 44 footer, though. Avoid Cascais, its very expensive.

Otherwise its Lagos on the south coast, close to Faro for flights.

Chuteman

Visit site
Helps A lot

Thanks to You both for responses, details & experiences.

It really helps having not been to any of these places & trying to put the puzzle.
together. All the while moving BUT not sailing to a schedule.
So far - so good.......wish I did not have to "park" at all but it appears it
cannot be avoided.

Thanks again.......I will report back on final outcome.

Still open for additional comments & experiences from others if they like to join in

DownWest

Visit site
Algarve has Sagres, Lagos, Portimao, Albufeira, Vilamoura, Olhao (Faro lagoon) and Vila Real de St Antonio ( just up the Guardiana a bit) as 'Marinas', plus Alvor and the Faro lagoon as good spots to anchor. Lots of choice. Used to be a german guy up by El Rompido bout half way between VRSA and Huelva, who was good for looking after boats. Perhaps still so.
Couple of places in the Cadiz area. No recent experience. Cadiz itself might have improved, but was on the dump side of interesting last time I was there. Any updates?

capnsensible

Visit site
I like Cadiz! The marina doesnt look up to much at first glance right enough. Unfinished hotel as a backdrop and next to the container port.

However, its well priced, staff very helpful. Showers are great, pontoons all in good condition. New club bar is cheap with good tapas and long opening hours!

A 15 minute stroll along the breakwater with its views over the bay brings you to the centre of the oldest city in Europe. A few hundred years ago it was extremely wealthy and reflects in the scale of the old buildings, streets and squares. Fascinating maze of bars, restaurants etc.

For those so inclined, there are over 300 churches and the famous Camera Obscura.

For short sailing around the bay, try Puerto Santa Maria, famous for its Sherry exports and Rota, the small town and marina guarding the North west approaches.

AS I am starting to sound like a tourist brochure Id better stop!!

Very happy to answer any questions.

Chuteman

Visit site
Digging In

Overcast am in Gijon........slow start & with Biscay forecast looking not so good heading west especially tonight - I'll wait another day

So I'm using the time to match the names with Charts/Pilot

MoodyNick - Lisboa see two marinas on left under bridge
a) Santo Amaro
b) Alcantara (which is behind Cruise Ship & Container terminal)
Do either sound familiar?

CapnS - add'l info & "brochure" details = no worries.....
I played around with hopping all the way to Cadiz..... certainly not around
the corner....but it's on the list.......Thanks for new stuff

Baggy

Visit site
Just a note, to be aware that some of the marinas down the iberian coast become inaccessible in a swell

vikinglish

Visit site
I would either leave her in galicia where you have lots of choice in the rias or push quickly on and round the corner. Lots of choice there. Lots of brits in the marina at Lagos and a bar overlooking the marina where the brit liveaboard community seems to be based. Make a couple of friends and ask them to keep an eye on the boat for you.

Wansworth

Visit site
Why are you in such a rush to go south.The rias Bajas have a WARM MICRO CLIMATE and you will have a chance to meet Galicians instead of more Northern europeans holes up in some crmmy marina......

vikinglish

Visit site
Why are you in such a rush to go south.The rias Bajas have a WARM MICRO CLIMATE and you will have a chance to meet Galicians instead of more Northern europeans holes up in some crmmy marina......

+1. Although it doesnt feel very 'warm micro climate" this weekend!

maxi77

Visit site
Alot depends on what you are looking for. If you want to leave the boat afloat there are quite a few low cost options on the West coast od Portugal, though keep clear of the Lisbon area if money is important. Afloat the Algarve is pricey though 6 and 9 month packaages can make it a trifle more bearable. Faro is good for flights but I belive Porto is getting better which can make Povoa practical.

Ashore in the Algarve Bruces in Faro is probably the best and is not dependant on set period packages. Good for Faro airport and allows living aboard on shore.

Chuteman

Visit site
Helpful

d123 - thanks for reminder.......that is part of the weather matrix

MN - thanks for confirmation

VL - like the clear options & info on Lagos

m - "Rush" = the boat is headed to eastern Med & don't want to tangled up
in weather pattern shift. No matter where it is parked - it will be short term

m77 - Definitely talking about short term parking - 2 to 3 weeks max

Thanks again to all.........have an outline of stops that seem to work.
Once in La Coruna (tomorrow hopefully) can decide further.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
So I'm using the time to match the names with Charts/Pilot

MoodyNick - Lisboa see two marinas on left under bridge
a) Santo Amaro
b) Alcantara (which is behind Cruise Ship & Container terminal)
Do either sound familiar?
Forget Amaro. Usually full of locals. The quayside there is the centre of noisy Lisbon youth night life, starting about midnight, going on to about 0400, and the bridge above adds a variable rumble and rattle to other hours.

You'll find descriptions of suitable/available Lisboa marinas, and their positioning, at http://www.jimbsail.info/drupal/tidal-europe/west-portugal . Equally, a rather brief summary of layup options around Cadiz is at /atlantic-south-iberia. All these are visible without logging in to the site.

The easy way to find this stuff is to Google "jimbsail", go to the site, rest your cursor on the "tidal europe" tab at the top, and you'll see a list of regions below. Click on the one you want.

From your q's it soundds as though the next step in site development will have to b individual pages for key layup areas where there's a lot of choice, like Lisboa and Cadiz.

JimB

Last edited:

maxi77

Visit site
d123 - thanks for reminder.......that is part of the weather matrix

MN - thanks for confirmation

VL - like the clear options & info on Lagos

m - "Rush" = the boat is headed to eastern Med & don't want to tangled up
in weather pattern shift. No matter where it is parked - it will be short term

m77 - Definitely talking about short term parking - 2 to 3 weeks max

Thanks again to all.........have an outline of stops that seem to work.
Once in La Coruna (tomorrow hopefully) can decide further.

On that basis I would suggest Albufeira, very sheltered, good cheap transfers to the airport, about 10 euros return booked online, only aboyt 1 hour in transfer bus to airport and generaly cheapest marina in that part of the Algarve.

Chuteman

Visit site
OK - will check it out

M77:
Arrived in LaC this am........and have been giving more thought to the various
options..........the weather looks good for the next few days - if the case again in the am forecast - then will push south........

I'll take a close look at Albufeira..........thanks for specific suggestion.