Portugal - SEF - Residence Cards

shan

Visit site
Is there a contact number for SEF that actually works/gets answered? Our neighbours were issued their residence cards but couldn't collect them within the time allocated(they were in the UK) and unfortunately, we weren't authorised to collect them for the neighbour. They are now trying to find out how to get their cards and not having much luck. Short of walking into SEF in Tavira, is there anything else they can do?

shan

Visit site
I think they would be better off actually going to SEF in Faro - it's where they applied. About 45 minutes.... they're retired, time is not an issue!

DownWest

Visit site
Update - they went to SEF in Faro and managed to collect their cards.
Way back, I got my residents card on the basis of a letter from another resident saying I was a jolly good chap. My driving licence required the usual 8 or 10 bits of paper and was expected to take 6 months. Since I needed to drive to UK after about two months. I waded into the Faro office to aske for my UK licence back for a short while. Oh, hang on for a couple of minutes, then they asked me to sign a form and gave me the Portuguese licence. Assorted people asked me how much I had to pay to do that. Nada.

DownWest

Visit site
Not about this subject, but early 70's, in Albufeira post office, notorious for ignoring foregners in favour of locals, a guy was waving a gun at another foreigner who he thought was 'molesting' his wife. The staff paid no attention at all to this, as clearly it was not their resonsibility. Let the estrangeros do their stuff.

Back then, the last post delivery was by mule cart. The 'driver' was usually 'a little under the weather' by the late hour, but the mule knew the way and it was not a problem.
Some guys from a bar turned the mule a bit outside the town, so he wandered back to the Post office. Slight delay in the deliveries the next day...

Oh, and a common comment was, are you married, or do you live in Albufeira?