Portland Tides

derekgillard

Visit site
Planning a trip to Dartmouth from Solent next month, I intend to be 8 +miles off Portland to miss the tidal race, however just in case I have to divert to Portland /Weymouth (both on the out and return trip) does anyone have any tips on the correct time to leave or arrive to catch the tide around the Bill.

I will of course look in the atlas, but any advice from you guy's would be appreciated.

Regards Del Buoy

<hr width=100% size=1>

Boathook

Visit site
When heading West I normally start from Studland on the first of the ebb so that I get way past Portland into Lyme Bay. Distance off is a slightly personal matter on how much rough water you are prepared to put up with, what the winds are and have been. If you are a long way offshore you would have to make an early decision that you wanted to go into Weymouth.
When heading East again I time my arrival of Portland to get the first of the flood up. This means it is a nice sail or a gentle motor, again to Studland which is easy to approach, manageable tides and very sheltered from the prevaling wind.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Evadne

Visit site
Sorry, don't have my tide tables with me but the Shell channel pilot gives a good summary of the tides around Portland. I think you'll find the almanac tidal streams pretty accurate though.
From memory, Captain Cootes also advises that the tides nearly always run south form Weymouth to the Bill, so you shouldn't try and cut in close heading north, even on an East-going tide. In addition, I once cut across the reefs to the East of Portland on the way to Weymouth from Dartmouth in calm weather and came across some enormous "boils", which would translate into overfalls if there was any wind.
Have a nice trip.

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site
Some good info discussed here in the past
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ybw.com/cgi-bin/forums/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=ym&Number=195466&part=1>click here </A>
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ybw.com/cgi-bin/forums/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=pbo&Number=236662&part=1>and here </A>

<hr width=100% size=1>Err, let me know if Depsol enters the forum, I'll go and hide

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Re: Inner passage

Going West – It takes just over an hour to get from Weymouth entrance to the Bill.
Watch out for pot buoys off the East entrance to Portland Harbour.
Aim to be at the Bill half an hour before to half an hour after HW DOVER
(don’t use Weymouth tables, slack water on the Bill coincides there about’s with WH/LW Dover)
If you are greater than stone throwing distance off the Bill, you are too far out!
Don’t use the inner passage in >SW4 unless you are big and / or you’ve done it before a few times.
East 4-5 you start to get a large swell.

Going East – Aim to be at the Bill at HW DOVER 5 to 6
Aim for Blacknor Point (about 1 ½ Miles North of Bill) the current will then carry you round.
Don’t use the inner passage in >E4 unless you are big and / or you’ve done it before a few times.
SW 4-5 you start to get a large swell, but once you have jibed and heading North you are in good sheltered water.
Remember, If you are greater than stone throwing distance off the Bill, you are too far out!

Dipper

Visit site
Re: Inner passage

That's a good point NigelB has made about keeping well North of the Bill as you approach from the West. The current flows North to South along the side of Portland most of the time. If you are in a yacht (even under engine) failure to keep well North as you approach could easily result in the current dumping you straight in the race. Powerful motor boats can get away with it!

Have a read of Inshore Along the Dorset Coast by Peter Bruce for a good explanation of the inshore passage.

<hr width=100% size=1>