Porta-Potti for Holland?

dickh

Visit site
Am going to Holland for a fortnight in 3 weeks time, can I use my sea toilet whilst on the inland waterways or should I get a Porta-Potti whilst I'm there?

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

DanTribe

Visit site
We have always gone for the Porta-Potti option, using a sea toilet on inland waters is pretty anti-social, especally as the Dutch like to swim in every available bit of water. Another advantage of the potty is that you can sit in the cockpit on nice days and wave to passers by.

Dan

<hr width=100% size=1>

kingfisher

Visit site
Sensible toilet training

Well ,it's pretty much OK to use the sea toilet in Tidal waters (i.e. Oosterschelde, W-Schelde upper IJsselmeer), but not in enclosed waters (Veerse Meer, Grevelinge, etc), nor in ports, or with swimmers nearby.

By using a porta-potti, you're actually turning one of the best biodegradeable products into a vicious chemical slurry, so sometimes a sea toilet is more environmentaly sane.

<hr width=100% size=1>Group of people on the pontoon: skipper is the one with the toolbox.
http://sirocco31.tripod.com

dickh

Visit site
Re: Sensible toilet training

Thanks for the replies, I'll get a Porta Potti for the non tidal bits, which is virtually what I'd decided to do.

squidge

Visit site
Good point ! had'nt even thought of that , as we are also planning a Holland cruise for the first time leaving from the crouch sometime in the first week of August.Id better pop down to the local camping store to see whats available.Any suggestions?
Thanks
/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

mickshep

Visit site
When we brought Fosca through the canals from Eindoven to Ijemuiden in May we asked this very question, we were told that the majority of boats use sea toilets even inland, so much so that the government is offering about 300 euro towards the cost of installing a holding tank in any Dutch vessel used on the inland waterways. Can't imagine our Government being quite so helpful. Mike

<hr width=100% size=1>

dickh

Visit site
Squide,
The one I'm looking at is the Thetford Porta Potti 165 - the smallest one at £59.99 from the camping/caravan place in Norwich. The next size up is the 265 at £69.99 and the only difference for the extra £10 is a level gauge for the contents.
My experience of a few years ago is that once the flushing water is used up the holding tank is full and therefore needed emptying.