Port side om636 alternator belt change

Andy C

Visit site
Hi, i have just purchased an ocean 30 after owning narrow boats for the past 15 years, it has twin merc om636 engines and the port side alternator belt is very loose and at full adjustment, I was a bit shocked at how confined everything is, I have noticed that the starboard belt has been changed but not the port, I am assuming looking at it, that it has not been done because its a pig of a job, does anyone have any experience of this particular task and if so could you possibly give me any helpful advice on the best way to go about this, any help would be greatfully received.
Regards
Andy

jrudge

Visit site
Remember the first qualification of being a marine engineer is to be small. I am 6 ft 3 and still manage it but it can be a squeeze.
The engineer who looks after my boat in mallorca got stuck last year ( not on my boat ) . Called for help and some tools to dismantle a few bits to get out. I Always take my phone with me in a confined space for this reason. I have not got stuck - yet

Croftie

Visit site
Remember the first qualification of being a marine engineer is to be small. I am 6 ft 3 and still manage it but it can be a squeeze.
The engineer who looks after my boat in mallorca got stuck last year ( not on my boat ) . Called for help and some tools to dismantle a few bits to get out. I Always take my phone with me in a confined space for this reason. I have not got stuck - yet
I had a stuck session in the summer doing some wiring in the bow thuster compartment, no problem leaning down through the hatch until i dropped something just out of reach. Without thinking I reached down to retrieve, eased down a bit further (upside down) and then could not get back up!! Hot day and I was sweating! For 10 mins i wriggled every way trying to get out, my belt kept snagging on the lip so that came off .... Eventually I realised the only way was down then up. Went head first fully into the compartment, turned around and eased myself up and out. No phone near me but that would have to have been the last resort, would never have heard the end of it from the marina lads. Im fairly small but at 70+ not something I want to repeat.

Assassin

Visit site

You forgot the and be agile bit, as my grandad said "you have to be as bendy as dunlop rubber".

mil1194

www.myitmatters.com
I had a friend stuck in my engine room last summer and he reminded me of Winnie the Pooh stuck in Rabbits hole. I suggested he stayed there for a week but that didn’t go down well. As it happened upon further invention he has got caught up on a wire that has sprung loose from a reinforced pipe so the suffering didn’t last too long. Making sure you have your mobile/access to VHF could be your saviour.