Pop Riveters

Daydreamer

Visit site
I need to set a few 6mm or 1/4in pop rivets. The only cheap tools with this sort of capacity seem to be the lazy tong variety. I've never tried using them. Basic question is,do they actually work?

davidwf

Visit site
Yes but because you are pushing against the work when they pop be careful they don't slip and scratch the mast etc.

I've also used the long handle variety and found the lazy tong type better.

capetown

Visit site
Lazy Tong

To add about them slipping.

What I did was to make a cover/shroud with a hole just larger than the flange of the rivet, tape this in place, and you won't get any nasty scratches.

On the size you are thinking, the lazy way is the way to go.

rotrax

Visit site
Hi, I have used both types and concur with previous posts. However, when I felt that a pair were essential on our boat I purchased on EBAY a heavy duty pair for about £15.00. They came with three sized nipples to take up to 6mm rivets.They would, under test, collapse a 6mm monel rivet but it was just about their limit. Using a couple of pieces of scrap s/s tube I lenghened the handles so its a doddle. Another advantage is that they dismantle and so fit in the toolbox. After inspecting a riggers H/D set the "works" end appears to be identical and is of the same make. Works for me.

Talulah

Visit site
I need to set a few 6mm or 1/4in pop rivets. The only cheap tools with this sort of capacity seem to be the lazy tong variety. I've never tried using them. Basic question is,do they actually work?

Suggest you complete your profile a bit more. Somebody may be in the same marina and able to lend you one for an hour or so.

Martin_J

Visit site
You can borrow my long arm riveters then see how good they are and if that is the type you would get along with... But only if you are nearby...

(Profile details might help!).

Daydreamer

Visit site
Thanks for the comments. Yes, it was what might happen to the gun (and me too for that matter) when the mandrel snapped that was concerning me a little. Ordered one off ebay, we shall see......

Bodach na mara

Visit site
Lazy tongs are the way to go. When I last got a mast from Z-Spars for completion, neither my own hand tool nor the yard's heavy duty one would set the larger rivets. Even setting the small ones was a hand-straining exercise and when they let go with a bang it was painful. I borrowed lazy tongs from the rigging company that was supplying the mast and the difference was amazing.

If I am ever setting rivets again I will buy one. My (now much older) hands would just not stand up to squeezing the handles of the hand type and extensions to the handles would need to be bloody well-made to avoid a severe knuckle bashing on the follow-through.

Daydreamer

Visit site
If you're close enough to Portsmouth and don't get on with the lazy tongs style.. you're still welcome to try this one out. I liked the fact that mandrels are caught with this one and there is no slipping towards the work as the mandrel is snapped.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Faithfull-HDLAHR-Heavy-Duty-Long-Riveter/dp/B000X2ATYC

Thanks for the generous offer. Apologies for not commenting but I didn't notice youir post on first reading. There really are some thoughtful people on this forum

SHUG

Visit site
The long handled ones are good but you have to be careful .....they can knock you out!!
My pal was putting 6mm Monel rivets in the mast when it was horizontal in the mast shed. He was at the limit of his strength to compress the rivet and bent down to get more purchase. When the rivet suddenly popped his hands crashed against each side of his head and he reeled about with mild concussion for quite a few minutes. I rushed to help him....after I had stopped laughing!!
Listen and learn!