Poor planning - Gas bottles - What to do?

kunyang

Visit site
We managed to fill 13kg calor gas in all areas over the first three years, last filled in kalamata, but couldn't fill in Crete, so now have one greek bottle and one calor bottle. I found asking marinaros at marinas the best way to find gas refills! But, the trick is, fill one as soon as empty where you can, so there's no panic!
The most expensive was 50 euro in sicily, but cheapest was 15. For 13kg that'll last three months, I'm happy, but shall probably swap out my greek bottle for an Italian one when back in Sicily this winter.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We managed to fill 13kg calor gas in all areas over the first three years, last filled in kalamata, but couldn't fill in Crete, so now have one greek bottle and one calor bottle. I found asking marinaros at marinas the best way to find gas refills! But, the trick is, fill one as soon as empty where you can, so there's no panic!
The most expensive was 50 euro in sicily, but cheapest was 15. For 13kg that'll last three months, I'm happy, but shall probably swap out my greek bottle for an Italian one when back in Sicily this winter.

Where in Sicily did you pay €50 ? In Ragusa we use to take alsort of bottles to the gas company , they filled any thing up , the most for the big once was €14 the small camping Gaz €6

geem

Visit site
We use a Safegas bottle that is designed to be refilled by the user. It has an automatic valve built in that stops it being over filled. It is also see through so you can tell at a glance how much gas you have. With this bottle and a set of adaptors we have filled it in lots of places. Now in the Caribbean we also have an American spec see through bottle. We find it easier to get it filled here but we still fill our British Safegas bottle using the adaptors from the American bottle. It means we can carry two 18ltr gas bottles giving us plenty of time between fills.

Heckler

Visit site
Least with a set of adaptors you can use any bottles so covered even if the only option is expensive camping gas.
In the algarve there is a place outside Olhao who reckons he can fill anything, costs about €20 for a 10kg bottle.

Place at the west end of Loule doing it to. Car gas filling station but he reckons he has a connector for anything!

blenkinsop

Visit site
If you get to Vava'U, the gas filling station was along the road adjacent to the main anchorage. The 'adaptor' for filling a Camping Gas cylinder was length of copper pipe pushed against the ball valve!

stephen_h

Visit site
We use a Safegas bottle that is designed to be refilled by the user. It has an automatic valve built in that stops it being over filled. It is also see through so you can tell at a glance how much gas you have. With this bottle and a set of adaptors we have filled it in lots of places. Now in the Caribbean we also have an American spec see through bottle. We find it easier to get it filled here but we still fill our British Safegas bottle using the adaptors from the American bottle. It means we can carry two 18ltr gas bottles giving us plenty of time between fills.

Had a look for these but could only find Safefill bottles for LPG - are these the ones you use?

geem

Visit site
Had a look for these but could only find Safefill bottles for LPG - are these the ones you use?
LPG is what we all use liquid petroleum gas. Butane or propane. You can put either in them, it makes no difference. Very pleased with our bottle. Doesnt mark the deck. Its super light and you can see how much gas you have. Had ours for 7 years