Poole marinas / shelter

colhel

Visit site
If draft allows - and it's not too late - how about grabbing a mooring on the Frome up to Wareham ? That's where I'd go but I have a lift keel.

Incidentally was at Lymington yesterday with a general idea of heading west solo for a few days but the forecast put the kybosh on that and everyone on the raft I was on agreed ' let's get outta here and back to Chichester ' !

Hope you have a quiet night wherever.
Great to see you're getting out and about again. When conditions and time permit, try again for Poole and i'm sure you'll be rewarded by the Poole possie with refreshments

Seajet

Visit site
Great to see you're getting out and about again. When conditions and time permit, try again for Poole and i'm sure you'll be rewarded by the Poole possie with refreshments

Thanks, but with my committments on shore I rather suspect that was my ' holiday cruise ' for this year ! - May be wrong and anyway hope to take you up on that sometime asap.

doug748

Visit site
28kts max on Windguru. Force 7 max on Meteo Consult, so BBC looks a bit like an outlier........

Part of the thing is that the BBC local forecasts will be dishing it out in MPH rather than Knots. Even so the local BBC is giving 24 hours of force 8 in Plymouth over Saturday, others rather less 6 - 7.

Mikenda

Visit site
Even longer walk now until the new clubhouse is complete. New wi-fi system just installed. Robin you are sadly missed.

Robin

Visit site
Even longer walk now until the new clubhouse is complete. New wi-fi system just installed. Robin you are sadly missed.
We miss all you guys too, even the cooler weather. Does the new Wi-Fi work better or same old excuses? we are spoiled here with Wi-Fi. Aside from the marina specific one there are multiple others we can receive locally linked to our cable broadband provider that we can hook up to, plus even then we have 4G cellular on a notebook we can use as our own Wi-Fi hub to link all onboard devices to for internet. I gather the usual August bank holiday weather is coming in, so no changes there! :eek-new: .

Daedelus

Visit site
Bit late now but Salterns is both expensive and fairly tight on space to turn, so if boat is any size I wouldn't recommend it.

It is full of mobos, this is not a criticism, I found them all very pleasant people, it's just that the marina tends to be aimed at mobos rather than raggies.

Robin

Visit site
I am in H24. The new wi-fi is working a treat there. So many PYC members on ere!

We are only 'overseas members' these days. but our boat proudly sports the club burgee stickers in prime location, both sides of the coachroof., along with a union flag sticker. We never did join a USA YC ( aka the tennis/dining club) and our boat here is now for sale, thanks in part to the disastrous Brexit effect on gbp/ $ exchange rates:disgust:(OK, I slapped my own wrist for mentioning it)

Robin

Visit site
Bit late now but Salterns is both expensive and fairly tight on space to turn, so if boat is any size I wouldn't recommend it.

It is full of mobos, this is not a criticism, I found them all very pleasant people, it's just that the marina tends to be aimed at mobos rather than raggies.

Unless it has changed, many of the resident Salterns boats were company demonstrators. Also considering the fees charged the pontoons were in dreadful condition. I saw one crew go through the wood slats when jumping off their boat to tie up. Getting on/off the fuel berth was always huge challenge and one I eventually avoided by getting an account card for Corralls up at the QuAy with 24/7 self service pumps..

zikzik

Visit site
Well its full blow now and I just checked the boat. Fairly calm in the haven really, so the op should be comfortable in Salterns.
Plenty of time to walk or bus to Shore road, a late lunch at the Jazz cafe, then a walk along the prom towards Bournmouth while watching the air festival - which is running late today due to the wind. Red Arrows arriving at 1800 or so (they say).

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
Actually you said .

Anyhow we have arrived at a consensus, you now agree the marina that Poole Town Quay is not a good refuge in a blow, although it gets whacked worse from the SE and not the S.

Poole Town Quay isn't a marina and the biggest whacking it gets is the wash from the Pilot boats (and the AWB on a shout but that's fine by me). Some of the Haven (which is the marina can be a little exposed) but all except the very smallest and lightest of craft will experience some movement but nothing dangerous except in the most violent of blows. The smaller craft are usually tucked up against the pontoon alongside the quay wal and in the lee of larger vessels so most of them aren't too bad in fact either.

It's marinas over by the ferry terminal (PYC and Port of Poole) that can be a bit exposed but are at worst uncomfortable, never dangerous.

Way

just a quick reply to say thanks everyone. And can say that I'd recommend Salterns. Not cheap by any stretch (same price for us as Lymington YH?) but the staff couldn't help enough including helping with some friends and their car who met us there and were really friendly. Boat owners there seemed particularly friendly as well