Poole Harbour

lanason

Visit site
Yes - take a trip up the river Frome (sometimes called the South River) to Wareham - moor at the Quey and have a meal at the Granery on the Quay. Or have chips from the Chipperie in the high street - lovely overnighter.
Go round to Swanage and spend an afternoon anchored up.
Have a wander throught the town.

Adrian :))
"yellow hull - called Court Jester - Have you seen her ??"

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Dont think there any dangers much in Poole harbour. Except maybe running aground at low water. If you go out of the chanels. Dont get run over by the ferries. Play safe by going up the river and getting sloshed at the pub!!

Dont forget to order your Burgee. PM me.

Haydn

BarryH

Visit site
Depending what direction your coming from, about the only hazard is The hook sands, you gotta be a right idiot to hit 'em, although people have. High tide is a good time to go round the south deep channell. Nice and quiet. The chain ferry has right of way, entrance runs fast on springs. As mentioned before, up the frome to the Quay is a nice overnight trip for grub. watch the depth though.

lanason

Visit site
It just an illusion I create to lull you into a false sence of security ...... seems to be working.

Adrian :))
"yellow hull - called Court Jester - Have you seen her ??"

Geoffs

Visit site
Echo what BarryH and Ianason have said. IMHO the jewels in the crown of Poole Harbour are the Islands.

Brownsea the main one, of course. Owned by National Trust and open to the public. Ferries use the east end, but you can land on the west end at Pottery Pier. NT have little boxes and rely on your honesty to pay landing fee.

Furzey Island owned by BP, can't land. Green Island privately owned, but you can join the the Island Club to get unlimited access. Have visited Green Island, marvelous place, but at £1,000 pa subsciption, a bit pricey.

You can rent a cottage on Round Island, and then visit. Long Island, don't know much about, but it is private.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Geoffs on Mon Mar 18 08:59:14 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>

c_j

Visit site
Look out for drying sands around Stone Island, You will see it on the chart but IMHO the channel is not well marked there. This is the entrance to South deep between Brownsea Island and er Stone Island. An East cardinal buoy warns you not to get too close to Brownsea but nothing to warn the other side especially difficult when returning to the main Swash channel when travelling North, something you will be doing a fair bit from Sandbanks. Are you mooring at Lovells?

CJ
chris@stone.uk.com

duncan

Visit site
You have spring tides so you can go aground most places outside the main channels that weekend.
I will be around all weekend and if you want company on a run to Swanage - no problem. Send me a PM with your mobile or whatever to get together. I am based at Poole with a 25ft'r. You will find the Wareham Quay busy I am afraid - keep an open plan in case you cannot stay!
It's a nice area to just potter around with a chart.......